Home Repair Tutor
Home Repair Tutor
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Bathroom Floor Tile: Prep Work that's Crucial for a Gorgeous Look

Who doesn't like a great looking bathroom floor? They're resilient and add flavor to one of the most important spaces in any house. We added porcelain tile to a bathroom that originally had blue carpet (that's right, BLUE carpet !!) Prep work is crucial to prevent cracked tile and extend the life of your transformation. Here's a summary of some notes (on prep work) I took from an installation we did a few weeks ago.
+Check the wood subfloor for water damage around the vanity, toilet and bathtub
+Replace wood subfloor panels that are warped and rotted
+Ensure the floor is level
+Secure any loose and squeaky wood subfloor panels using 2 inch deck screws
+Fix peaks less than 1/8 of an inch by sanding them down
+Fill in valleys using self leveling compound
For more details and some pictures visit http://www.homerepairtutor.com/install-bathroom-floor-tile-part-1/
If you have any tips you'd like to add please do so :)
The right prep for tile floors is simple and straight forward. Use a level, hammer, drill, deck screws, leveling compound to help with the process
And buy some knee pads, you'll be on the floor a lot :)
Home Repair Tutor

• FloorNerd

Rhonda, Please at no affence do not give advice about subflooring cbu or any backerboard hold any support for tile its just a filler TCNA handbook tell you this along with cementboard recomendations. most tilers will tell you 1" of ply correctly put down and set is what should be addiquite for subfloor strainth.

• Jeffrey Goodman

This article has been very helpful. I am getting ready to start a bathroom remodel. For the new floor tile, I am going to make sure to check the subfloor that it isn't damage. If it is I will then replace that first before adding the new floor tile. http://baysidetiles.com.au/index.php?route=product/category&path=57_75