Who do I call to install cable inside of a wall?

We need the cable moved out of the floor (the typical way it's installed) and moved to a wall jack. We've tried to ask our cable company to do it, but they only have a few technicians who know how to, and others are just trained for the standard way.
Do I need to call technicians who are of TV installation, electricians, or?
installing cables in wall
  11 answers
  • For some reason my post did not take. But R Adam is correct or there are folks that simply just do this type of work. Low voltage contractors. Expect to pay about $100 for the service plus parts.
  • Leslie D Leslie D on Oct 30, 2014
    Another option would be to call your local vocational school. They use small projects like this to train their students, and perform work at a low cost.
  • April April on Oct 31, 2014
    Thanks @Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com , @Leslie D , and @360 Sod (Donna Dixson) for your help! :)
  • Jill Vokey Jill Vokey on Oct 31, 2014
    Try either a handyman or electrician.
    • April April on Oct 31, 2014
      @Jill Vokey - Thanks! I was thinking of electrician, but didn't know they specialized in coax cables.
  • Christopher M Christopher M on Oct 31, 2014
    Electrician is most likely your best bet and are able to put it in conduit. In case anything ever happened during storm seasons and it had to be replaced
    • April April on Oct 31, 2014
      Thanks, Christopher! That's what I thought, too. :) It would be nice if cable companies were to give people a choice.
  • JHD JHD on Oct 31, 2014
    definitely an eletrician.
  • Susan Johnson Susan Johnson on Oct 31, 2014
    I did it myself. Pulled it down then ran it back up where I wanted it. Bored a hole in the wall after buying the plate from Lowe's and voila! Of course six months later, I changed my mind, pulled it out, moved it back up the floor, patched the wall and there it's stayed!
  • Monique Clouatre Monique Clouatre on Oct 31, 2014
    I would leave it where it is and have another one installed. Wont cost you more and maybe one day you will need to use the first one. Monique
    • April April on Oct 31, 2014
      Thanks, Monique! I would, but we are having the carpet stretched, and it is in the way. And the way they have it installed the cords shoot way out from the floor, causing a "trip and fall" hazard. :(
  • Nancy Jenkins Nancy Jenkins on Oct 31, 2014
    Is that also for phone jacks that some of still have that type of phone and electric plugs outlets. Fine in basement but need more plug outlets upstairs and need a couple of phone jacks in 3 other rooms. I am in Canada so might be different in other places. Hard to get job done without big cost.
    • April April on Oct 31, 2014
      Wow, sounds like you need more outlets than I do. :) Perhaps look around at electricians or handymen, as people have suggested here? Your cable provider may do it, as I've heard some stories about how some people have gotten them to. However, we've had a lot of trouble with ours.
  • Kathy Baker-Henderson Kathy Baker-Henderson on Oct 31, 2014
    I work for a cable co. You definitely need a electrician. Preferably licensed. It won't be cheap. Call around for estimates
    • April April on Oct 31, 2014
      Thanks, Kathy! We only need one outlet for now, so hopefully it won't run too much.