Chalk paint or latex paint?

Ken EricksonHolly Lengner - Lost MomSharon
+30

I am redoing a kitchen table/chairs and small buffet set but I'm not sure if I should use chalk paint or laytex paint. The table top, buffet top and chair seats will be stained in a dark colour and the rest will be painted white...or close to white as I have paint already in my stash.
Should I use chalk paint or regular paint? Is there an advantage to using chalk paint?
Some damage on the chairs but I've repaired them.
  • Betty Van Sant
    Betty Van Sant

Hi! I've discovered the best paint EVER!! Chalk paint. And Annie Sloan may seem pricey but I promise you will finish your project you use so little of it. Makes it worth it. You will LOVE this paint! No smell you can do it inside!! My first project I started outside in the summer only to find quickly WHY AM I OUT HERE SWEATING LIKE A HOG?? So I brought the piece into my bedroom with tarps. It was ingenious! And it covers so well! There's really no choice here. Don't use latex. Ever. If you make a mistake with chalk paint you can just redo it. Simple!! Happy painting!!

• Betty Van Sant
    Betty Van Sant

Awesome piece btw!

• 117135
    117135

Don't use latex, it can be done but you will be happier in using a chalk based furniture paint.

• Betty Van Sant
    Betty Van Sant

Mandy you sound like a pro. Did you take any lessons? Or classes? I should say? I want to. I feel I need to. To learn the gilded look. I don't know how to do those kinds of techniques. Would love to learn though.

• Jeanette S
    Jeanette S

I don't know painting, but please post photos when you finish...yes, we are nosey...no, make that "interested in your project"! HA!

• Christine Jess Danbrook
    Christine Jess Danbrook

Chalk paint for sure, I love using this paint, gives projects a beautiful finish.

• Terra Gazelle
    Terra Gazelle

With chalk paint you do not need to sand or use primer...clean the piece and start painting. You do not need to distress and instead of wax you can use poly-acrylic to seal. Though with wax you can get a beautiful feel and depth to the color. Making your own chalk paint is sooo much cheaper. I am right now going to go out to my workshop to paint a chair I am doing for a friend with home made chalk paint.

, This is a night stand I did with distressing, This is a small coffee table I did from a piano bench with storage under the top with no distressing
  • Charlotte Belange
    Charlotte Belange

I didn't any luck with chalk paint. gloss paint would look great on the tops maybe a med walnut gloss paint so the tops can bead up spills.

• Terra Gazelle
    Terra Gazelle

Chalk. I make my own and it works beautifully. You do not have to sand..just clean the piece..filkl in any scratches or gouges. And start painting..it will take about 2 coats and you are done. With latex you still need a primer to hold the paint on..with chalk paint your do not. Just if you are making your own gert the latex paint with out primer in it. I get the samples from Lowes or the cheapest from Walmart, no primer. I use Plaster of Paris...and in Lowes you can get what ever color that they have in their choices. You are limited in Annie Sloan, also its a difference of 40.00 to about 3.00 for the sample and 6.00 for the POP that will really do galleons of paint. Put on your two coats and then wax or poly. I poly if its going to get lots of wear..use a matte poly if you want to keep the farmhouse matte finish and the glossy if you want to make it a bid more modern. I love chalk paint..its a marvelous paint.

• Terra Gazelle
      Terra Gazelle

Do you want to restain or paint? If its to restain..clean them well, do a light sanding then you can use a gel stain. If it's paint..what kind of paint? I use chalk paint. Clean them well, I use a deglosser..rinse them, let them dry.. do two coats of chalk like paint..and seal with wax or polycrylic.
      I have given up wax almost completely for the minwax poly.
  • Jody
    Jody

I use Van Gogh Fossil paint made in Canada. It's great to work with and they have an awesome Table Top Finish for heavy use pieces.

• Pat880866
    Pat880866

I painted mine with latex paint and,did two poly coats on top - just great!

• Wdr4336909
    Wdr4336909

Has anyone used chalk paint on rough cut cedar wood ? I very made indoor shutters for my bedroom and wondered what would be best painting technique to use ?

• Terra Gazelle
      Terra Gazelle

@Wdrcarey Chalk Paint would do very well...make sure they are clean, use three coats..and use poly to seal, Matte finish if you want that antique look. sand lightly between coats of Paint.

• April Monaco
    April Monaco

OH MY GOSH CHALK PAINT FOR SURE, YES YOU NEED A FINISH SUCH AS WAX BUT THE TABLE STYLE LOOKS LIKE IT IS BEGGING FOR SOME FARMHOUSE CHARM. USE A RECIPE TO GET YOUR FAVORITE COLOUR, ANNIE SLOAN IS AWESOME BUT TRUST ME, VERY PRICEY.
    • K_a7863698
      K_a7863698

Hi April! I have some furniture projects I want to use chalk paint on but want to make my own. i know white latex paint & plaster of Paris are part of the mixture but what can I use for color?
      TIA for your help!
  • Tiffany
    Tiffany

Make sure not to use polyurethane over white paint of any kind. It will yellow your project, instead use a polycrylic or a different sealer.
  • Mayte Salazar
    Mayte Salazar

ia m learning and also doing a table so this is so helpful. I've only used Annie Sloan but yes, pricy, i would like to try and make my chalk paint
  • LuAnn Roberts
    LuAnn Roberts

I turned a discarded table and chairs into a game table. Painted the table top with chalkboard paint. Chairs and legs are just spray painted.
  • BabyBoomerSC
    BabyBoomerSC

Chalk paint is what I would use. Look at the company Heritage Traditions (heritagetraditionspaint.com) and check out their paints, their projects, etc. When you're painting furniture that you'll be using on a daily basis, don't skimp on the paint and the quality. You'll only end up re-doing it after a while.

They have a variety of colors to choose from and they are good, quality paints.
  • Sharon
    Sharon

I would use a good kitchen and bath paint, it wears really well, and you can add 1/2c or plaster of paris, or baking soda if you want the dull look. I myself like a satin finish as its easy to clean.
    • Judy
      Judy

Aaagh! I am very frustrated with chalk paint. I am working with stain on raw wood. No matter what I do, I continue to get bleed through in the chalk paint on my test boards. This is even after shellac.
  • Holly Lengner - Lost Mom
    Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

As long as the proper prep work is done, you can use either.

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

I would go with a latex enamel pint to get durability on the table.