Brepurposed
Brepurposed
  • Youngstown, OH

French Script Two Toned End Tables

These tables were picked up for me by my parents at an antique show this past summer and might not have been something I would have been drawn to myself, but I couldn't pass up matching end tables. They are SO hard to come by!
how to chalkboard french script end tables, chalkboard paint, diy, painted furniture, woodworking projects
The leather on the tops was in pretty bad shape so I started by ripping it off. It left a pretty big mess of glue so I used my sander to get rid of that.
The only problem was the the glue around the edges was quite stubborn and didn't come off as easily. I'll show you how I addressed that later in the post :)
I knew I wanted to preserve some of the wood, at least the parts that weren't in terrible condition. I used this Gel Stain on the drawers and the top edge to richen up the color.
Each table had a shelf on the bottom that I just wasn't feeling so I ripped them out but was left with this unfortunate gash in the legs.
I used this awesome color changing wood filler to patch up these holes and it worked wonders. For such big gaps, I only had to fill and sand each one twice.
I painted the top and base in Annie Sloan Graphite and then added this beautiful French Script from a stencil I bought on Etsy.
I tried painting over the left over residue but it was a slightly different color than the rest and it really bothered me. To solve this problem, I bought some plywood strips from Michaels and painted them in the same Graphite color and then used them as a frame around the words.
I kept the old hardware and spray painted it gold as well as the tips of the legs.
Brepurposed

• Joanie

Are those pheasant feathers? I haven't seen a pheasant in a long time. I love them, brings back Sunday suppers, as a kid. Rabbits and pheasants, as My Daddy was an avid hunter and had a great aim!! and rifles also. A great and fun sport!!

• They are all in my area! Somehow the quail, ducks and pheasants know when it is hunting season and temporarily relocate to other areas. I have had all sorts of random animals show up in my back yard.

• Monique

Beautiful, beautiful tables.....do you know what the stenciled words say? I speak French fluently & those are the most beautiful words of love I've ever read!!

• [re]FɄB19

I love what you did! Those 2 colors together... a perfect match! Clap! Clap! Clap!

• Diane

I love them!!! Beautiful!!