Homemade Disposable Cleaning Wipes

$2

Do you have a place in your house where you like the convenience of those pop-up disposable cleaning wipes? For me, it's a bathroom down in our basement. It just helps to have a few cleaning shortcuts in a room that's way off in a far corner of our house.

But as much as I liked that convenience, I didn't like the price I was paying for those few little wipes in a container. My solution? Make my own!

What worked for me was to put a roll of paper toweling (a good brand like Viva or Bounty) into a 1 gallon plastic pitcher. Of course this gives you a much larger sized container than the store bought wipes but I think that's a good thing! I know this size batch will last me a lot longer than those little containers of wipes I was buying at the store.

I began by placing my roll of paper towels in the gallon container. Even though it looks like the paper toweling is just a little too big for the container, it still worked.

Update: When storing these wipes, I do put the lid back on, and the towels compress down and fit in the container very nicely.

I then soaked the paper toweling with a homemade solution using water, vinegar, dish soap, and tea tree essential oil.

Update: The amounts I use are 1-3/4 cup water, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 tsp dish soap, and 10 drops of tea tree oil.

After it soaked for a few minutes, I could easily remove the cardboard tube from the middle and begin pulling the paper towels up from the center of the roll to use them like "pop-up" wipes.

I've been very happy with my homemade wipes so far! They were easy to make, do a great job of quick clean-ups, and are saving me money too. You can get the complete printable recipe and more details over on my blog (or you can use the "GO" button below.

Bev @ The Make Your Own Zone

• Misha

Is the tea tree oil personal preference for smell, or does it have an effect on the cleaning? I don't have that, but I have cedarwood oil.

• The tea tree oil is in the mixture because it has antibacterial properties that help with cleaning and also helps to prevent mold from growing on the paper towels.

• Kath

can u make this product and use it in a spray bottle thanks

• Manisha Patel

Will it kill germs?

• Yes, I think you could use bleach for these homemade wipes. I would then leave out the other ingredients (vinegar, soap, and tea tree oil) and instead just add a tablespoon of bleach to the 1-1/2 cups of water and and use this bleach/water solution to soak the paper toweling.

• Patc B-All

Love it. Instead of putting them in a tub like container and trying to fish out the tube, i stored in a flat container by pre-tearing all the sheets on the roll. I also used some apple cider vinegar, as well as cleaning vinegar, a 2 to 1 ratio specifically.