Asked on Nov 1, 2014

Amateur decorating. Would like some tips & helpful hints

Marcy, Professional Designer, Artist and Arts and Crafts InstructorAllie WadeBkr762926
+13

I want to begin with Christmas decorating pine cones. Also, I want to have all my Christmas tree decorations homemade. I do not have much money so I need some really creative ideas for a poor budget. I appreciate any help. I am a Christian and want this reflected in my decorations.
  • Jill Feigelman
    Jill Feigelman

This is a great project using pine cones for dinner card place holders from @Laura Trevey. http://www.hometalk.com/2176062/glitter-pine-cone-place-cards You can find other easy Christmas crafts using pine cones here: http://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=christmas+pinecone

• Jo
    Jo

Paint the tops of the cones white. If you can afford small stirofoam balls use squares of cloth to cover with some material hanging down. Then use white pipe cleaners for wings. The angels can be any color. Shop the dollar tree for. Inspiration

• Jo
    Jo

Have been doing this type of decoration for years.

• Lucia medeiros cabral
    Lucia medeiros cabral

Old christmas cards make beautiful tree ornaments. Just cut them in various shapes and with pieces of scrap lace and fabric trim,s glue around an hang on the tree also make vintage boots small fill them with some batting hand sew and add bit of lave or satin bow. And you have another trim. I have done before. Its good therapy. Happy. Crafting

• Michelle Speiser
    Michelle Speiser

Dried oranges and apple slices tied to your tree(look online to find out how to dry them in your oven. Bunches of cinnamon sticks (3 tied together ) raffia bows ( inexpensive to purchase at local craft store sold in natural or holiday colors). String popped popcorn. To tie the look together purchase dollar store wreaths and decorate with the same items. Don't forget ...pine cones look lovely in a bowl or glass jar on a table!

• Marion Nesbitt
    Marion Nesbitt

Daughter made me a delightful table piece at school one year. It was a piece of split log, bark on, that sat level. There was a hole drilled in the centre for a candle. Pine cones were glued on the piece and frosted with something. Forget what else was glued on. Used it for years. You can also string popcorn for deco.

• Morgan
    Morgan

My mom collected pine cones and trimmed pine and fir branches to make wreaths and grave blankets. She would spray paint the cones in different colors then brush white paint onto just the tips for a snow effect, very pretty!

• Morgan
      Morgan

Nice family activity, too. We kids loved to help collect the cones, paint the tips, and wire them to the florist pegs. We didn't have much money, and my mom never spent much. She got fancier cones and greens by asking to clean up and trim friend's trees, and even made the scrap wood frames herself. She really did beautiful work.

• Love glitter pine cones! You can also have a look here to see my post on bark candle holders, if you dont have the bark just an old jam jar and epsom salts/glitter work well! http://www.hometalk.com/5380887/frosted-birch-bark-candle-holder-epsom-salt Also, you could make salt dough ornaments :)

• Bkr762926
    Bkr762926

Since you live where it is still warm, look for wild flowers (aka weeds!) that you can press in a phone book or weighted down between sheets of paper for a week or two. Queen Ann's Lace is lovely this way and the white color shows up well on a tree.

• Allie Wade
    Allie Wade

Why not make paper German stars? You could hang those or cut paper snowflakes. Either are really pretty. Plus, I used to make ornaments with small pinecones with fake snow (aka: white glue and white glitter) brushed a little on the edges. Turn the pinecone upside down, glue a little bit of greenery or Spanish moss on the wide end, then glue a small mushroom bird on top. It looks like a bird on a nest. I have located mushroom birds at the Dollar Store.

• Dana, I like decorating with pine cones too. I fill a basket with pine cones and use different sizes of colored glass ornaments to nestle among them. I use this on my dining room table. You can also use them as mini trees by decorating them with little balls and display in clear votive holders.