Fall Cleanup of Hosta

Too busy to clean up your flower beds? In this post I share the reasons why I make sure to clean up my Hosta in the Fall and how to do it. I hope you find this post helpful!
fall cleanup of hosta, gardening, landscape, perennial, Hosta Queen Josephine in Spring
Hosta "Queen Josephine" in Spring
Hosta "Queen Josephine" in Fall
Hosta "Queen Josephine" in Fall
Fall is a busy time for the gardener. We have leaves to rake, compost to turn, seeds to collect, flower beds to mulch and so on. So much that sometimes I don't get everything done in time for the first snow. One thing I do make sure to do is clean up my Hosta before I put my flower beds to rest. They are such an easy care perennial and don't need much attention but the one thing I try to do is remove all the dying foliage. I do it to reduce and/or prevent any future issues.
The first issues I try to prevent are slug and snail problems. Slug and snails can wreak havoc on Hosta leaves in the spring and summer. I believe removing the leaves in the fall help to reduce their numbers come spring since they can lay their eggs in decaying matter. Removing the foliage makes them move somewhere else to lay their eggs.
Another reason to remove the foliage is foliar nematodes. Nematodes can overwinter in the dead foliage and find their way to your Hosta next spring. Nematodes cause damage to the leaves in the summer and they can spread if not controlled.
Disease control is another reason to remove the dead foliage. Some diseases can make their home in dead and decaying matter. Good housekeeping around your flower beds can help keep problems such as anthracnose and bacterial rot at bay along with a multitude of other disease that may or may not affect your Hosta but do affect your other plants in your garden.
How do I clean up my Hosta? I wait for them to be hit by a freeze and then I go out and pull the dead foliage away from the crown of the Hosta. It should pull right off. I am not a fan of using tools such as pruners for this since disease can be spread that way, and you don't really need them anyway. I also do not compost any of the leaves-my compost does not get hot enough to kill any pests or disease so I send them off with our city since they have a compost facility.
Here are some pics of how to remove the foliage easily:
1. Find a Hosta
fall cleanup of hosta, gardening, landscape, perennial
2. Grab the foliage with your hand
3. Pull the foliage-it should come off
5. All cleaned up and ready for winter
Not all gardeners clean up their Hosta in the fall-some leave the foliage to decompose over the winter. I do not. I prefer to remove the debris and as I said-I really think it does help to reduce the issues that occur with Hosta. If you have pest and disease issues with your Hosta give this a try and maybe next spring you won't have an issue with slugs or with nematodes. You might be surprised at much it helps.

Rhonda B

• Scrapbookingmamaw

Yes! I will try this as I have moved into another house and there are a few hostas. They are dying off now, and I wasn't sure what to do with them. Do I have to wait until after the first freeze to clean them up?

• Beverly

I plan to move before next spring, I want to take my Hostas with me. Can I up root them and plant in a pot?

• Linda Bonnell Marks

I bought some hostas in a plant sale in the late summer. I forgot to plant them so they wintered in the cold and snow all winter. Cleaning up my yard in the spring I found the brown paper bags with beautiful greenery coming out the top. They are so forgiving😊

• Bernice H

Hi,this is my first time having hostas in pots. I have had them in ground for years,in every cold climates, n ow I am curious about wintering them in pots. We seldom have very freezing weather here,but it happens. If I keep in the garage,do they need to be watered at all during the winter,and when do we pull them out of the garage. Salem,Woodburn Oregon area. Thanks...

• Amy Lawson

When I moved I dug mine up and wintered them in a kiddie pool. Didn’t lose not one plant. I was amazed. Ky is my zone.

• Kathy Sirko

I dug up my hostess put them in pots and move from Michigan to Georgia. They are fine. They must like the change

• Becky

I use it year round. I spread it with my hand. Just heavily sprinkle it on and around your hostas. I had a serious problems in the past with slugs. I read to use Epsom salt in a gardening article. I have just planted pansies and mums for the fall/winter and then applied the Epsom salt. It is my go to for slugs.