Debra
Debra
  • Seymour, CT
Asked on Sep 2, 2012

making home made chalk paint

Miriam IDebraKMS Woodworks
+3

Hi, I need some help with making home made chalk paint. I tried some yesterday one with plaster of paris and one with grout. It came out very very thick and I followed the directions on the exact amount to use. Can someone explain a little more to me about the process? Please I need HELP. I have been waiting to paint with chalk paint for so long, and I can't afford to buy the premade paint. HELP!!!!!
  • KMS Woodworks

Is it possible to post the recipe and your link to where you got it? I do know that plaster of paris "cure" by a chemical process...just as most cement based grouts. I have used the "setting type" drywall compound as one similar product...perhaps using a drying drywall mud could be an alternative.

• Debra

Hi, I don't remember the sites. I got them while browsing around. Here is what I used. 11/2 C.Paint,1/2C. hot water,1/2C.POP I mixed the POP w/water first them added the paint. This one came out very thick. Then I tried this one 2Tb. unsanded grout,2Tb. water, mixed this together then added 1C.paint. This one came out a little better. While I was painting with this one it kept getting very thick. I thought the paint would be a little creamier. I have never used any chalk paint so I have nothing to compair it with. I can afford to buy Ann Sloane or CeCe Caldwell chalk paint. Can you tell me a little more about the paint and how to maybe use it? Thank you Debbie daubin56@yahoo.com

• Miriam I

Hi Debra, Kim from Sam & Sisal just posted a great guide for chalk paint beginners - here it is: http://www.hometalk.com/527096/painting-with-chalk-paint

• Miriam I

If you need any help, you can as right on her post, that way she'll receive a notification and know to respond.

• Debra

Miriam, thank you so much for the info that you sent me. It has been very helpful and the list of retailers is great. They have one in Conn. and I plan to take a ride (1hr.) to see and purchase some of the paint. Thanks to everyone for there help with my issues. GOD BLESS ALL Debbie

• Miriam I

Oh, awesome. So glad I could help.:) Good luck!