Tara @ Anything & Everything
Tara @ Anything & Everything
  • Salt Lake City, UT

Thanksgiving Interchangeable Wood Sign

Before you know it, we will be setting the tables with fine china, mingling with family & friends, and enjoying a scrumptious feast! So naturally I wanted to spruce up my place a bit with some chic decor, and this cute interchangeable sign was born!
And if your anything like me, your thanksgiving decorations make way for Christmas in the blink of an eye. That is why this project is so great, as it can
thanksgiving interchangeable wood sign how to, chalk paint, crafts, seasonal holiday decor, thanksgiving decorations
supplies:
wood
mod podge
scrapbook paper
sponge brush
paint (I used Decoart’s Chalky Finish by Americana Decor in primitive & everlasting)
velcro
paint brush
wood turkey cutout
creme wax or clear wax if (using chalk paint)
dark wax (if using chalk paint)
So with this project I knew that I was going to do the dry brush technique. This technique requires two colors. I chose primitive and everlasting in Decoart’s Chalky Paint by Americana Decor.
I started off by painting my wood piece with two coats in the color primitive. Once that was dry (which this paint dries really fast!) then I used the everlasting for the dry brushing. For this technique, dip the tips of your brush in your second color of choice and pat/brush of excess paint with a paper towel. You will want the brush “dry”.
Using long strokes, brush your project in the desired areas to achieve the look you want.
Once that was dry, I applied the creme wax with Decoart’s Americana Decor wax and finishing brush.
I wanted the wood to have more of a distressed/aged look, so once the creme wax was dry I applied a little bit of dark wax. Use a sponge brush and apply the dark wax to desired areas and then wipe with rag or cheesecloth. I then buffed it with a cheesecloth to make smooth and shine. With buffing you can really achieve the amount of shine you want. It’s really up to you, and what kind of look you are going for.
Now that the wood is all ready, it is now time to get your Turkey beautified! You can really do whatever you want to the turkey. I decided to make it easy and apply scrapbook paper to the top. The first thing you will want to do is trace the turkey on the back of your scrapbook paper. Make sure when you are tracing the turkey, that you flip it backwards, so when you turn the scrapbook paper over, it will be the correct way. Once you have traced all the letters on to the back of the paper, cut it out.

After you cut it out, apply mod podge all over the wood turkey and then place the scrapbook paper on top.
Then I just added some velcro to make it interchangeable, making it a perfect decoration that you can use throughout the year!
Tara @ Anything & Everything

• Jennifer Morgan

How do you change the Turkey? Do you make a Santa or other holiday things and then add this to hold it? It's a very cute idea. I'd love to see what other holiday pieces.

1 comment