Margaret pack
Margaret pack
  • Cool Ridge, WV
Asked on Sep 3, 2012

What outside flowering plants will deer not eat?

Diena CameronDORLISWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
+3

The deer is thick where I live & they have destroyed my outside flowers! I am looking for sun & shade flowers for outside flower pots & for a flower garden. Preferably flowers that come up year after year. Any help would be appreciated,thanks.
  • 3po3

Here is a good article with some suggestions: http://www.networx.com/article/deer-resistant-plants Also, here are some suggestions for warding off deer: http://www.hometalk.com/189241/help-deer-are-eating-my-lilies-gt-what-can-i-do For more ideas, you can search "deer" at the top of the page. There are a couple of other posts with ideas.

• Dotsie

Hi, I don't know if this will help you but it helped my sister - she had deer eating her hydrangias (can't spell it) - someone told her about Wolf Urine - you have to find it on line and you sprinkle the urine around the plants you want the deer to stay away from. It worked for her. Good luck.

I feel your pain, Margaret, but a fence is really the only solution to a serious deer problem. If you don't have children, you might consider planting things that are poisonous to deer (and other living things) like foxglove and monkshood. The only blooming shrub I know of that deer really will not eat is andromeda.

• Even if your lucky to find a flowering plant that deer normally do not eat, If the winter is bad, they will eat things that normally they would not touch. Electrical wire or high fence is the answer. Dogs would work also but then you got to keep them out of the garden as well.

• DORLIS

If they are hungry, they will eat anything

• Diena Cameron

We had a huge deer problem in northern California and the only two plants i had that they didn't eat were Lavender and those bushy dark green shrubs with yellow daisy like flowers on them ( so sorry, i never did find out the name of those ). Hope this at least. gives you a start on a couple plants to put in your garden and both plants, by the way, are draught tolerant. The daisy shrub is more so once it is established, Lavender seemed to do well even when young. Good luck, hope it helps, i know how devastating it is to loose a plant that you have babied for months or even years.