Kitchen Island From a Dresser

Our eat in kitchen was driving me bonkers. There was never enough room for everyone. I've wanted to put an Island in our kitchen for as long as I could remember, then we found this dresser and the light bulb went off! the rest is DIY history.
this is how our island started
this is how our island started
We found this dresser on the street behind our house with a free sign on it. painted it, and added a wood countertop. We now have a gorgeous kitchen Island that seats about 10 people, and it only cost us around 80.00
how to turn a dresser into a kitchen island idea, kitchen design, painted furniture
We then added legs to it
It was then Primed, painted, and distressed.
We then added wood shims to the back to cover up the flimsy dresser board.
After that We took 4 6"x10" wood planks attached them together and also to the top of the dresser. We then sanded, stained and sealed them. The above picture is our end product and I just love it!
Stacey @addisonmeadowslane

• Colleen Emrich

I was wondering what the height of the original dresser was and the height that you raised it to when you added the legs? I am very interested in doing this project and just wanted a few more specific details. Thanks

• CK

Your finished height can be countertop height (usually 30") or bar height (40"-42"). Decide what height you'd like. Measure the height of your dresser then add the necessary inches to achieve the desired end height. Example: Your dresser is 24" tall. You want countertop height. You'd need legs approximately 6-8" tall (depending on how you'll attach them). Keep in mind that if you're adding a countertop on as they did in this piece, that too much factor into the overall finished height of the piece you'd like.

• RestoreAholic

Hi I was wondering how you made the top? What you used to connect the wood pieces and what you used to stain and seal it? Safe for food? Thank you so much.

• Shawna Bailey

Maybe she just glued the 6"x10"s down?

• Shawna Bailey

Maybe she just glued the 6"x10"s down?

• Connie E Causey Nunez

although I'm not using a dresser I am making my island top like this. I am using a Kreg jig to drill slanted holes on the bottom side...with glue and long screws I will attach each board together to form a solid top...hope this helps

• Srd23526623

What did you use for the top, a door?

• Sara Hanson Charvat

Amazing how you took what appeared to be yucky, pathetic, and ugly junk and turned it into something so highly desirable. WOW!!! There is a lesson for all that teaches us about hard work and vision. Thank you so much for yours. You did a marvelous job and whipped up a miracle for that abandoned piece. Well done!

• May29024663

wow!! what a great idea. I just love this