Harvesting Sweet Potatoes and Saving Slips

I love growing sweet potatoes in my garden. This year, in the middle of April, I planted three kinds; purple sweet potatoes (purple on the inside and outside), Covington sweet potatoes (which are the regular orange ones), and Hawaiian sweet potatoes (white on the outside, purple on the inside). A few days ago we harvested our sweet potatoes.
Last year, I planted sweet potatoes in one of my garden beds. The potatoes loved it, the vine crawled everywhere and very fast covered the whole bed. I liked it a bit less since my garden is very small, and I couldn’t use the bed to grow anything else the whole Summer.
So this year, I tried to grow the purple potatoes and the Hawaiians in containers, and I made another bed especially for the Covingtons. The problem with the new bed was that I couldn’t find time to fence it. The rabbits kept coming back to nibble on the leaves and the plant just couldn’t keep up. Anyway, we got to harvest a few Covingtons from that bed, but the more exciting part was the containers.
We laid nylon in front of the containers….

Lee @ Lady Lee's Home

• Hannah V

Would love to be able to grow sweet potatoes. One of my favorite things to eat in the fall.

• Ron Person

I'm using some 28 inch pots that tree growers use and I'm going to build a trellis to hold the vines up off the ground.