Barbara McKinney
Barbara McKinney
  • Argyle, FL
Asked on Sep 4, 2012

When hanging a picture in a room with walls fourteen feet high - what are the guidelines?

Culpepper Carpets and Interiors, Inc.Barbara McKinneyKMS Woodworks
+11

What is guideline for measuring from floor to top of picture?
  • Project Style, LLC

It depends on whether the picture is over a piece of furniture, a mantle, or on a wall with no furniture. Artwork is usually hung in relation to other furnishings. In a room with high ceilings, you often see "stacked" pieces of art to take up more of the vertical space.

• Barbara McKinney

Thank you so much!!!! I

• The rule that I teach my Emory students is......"The proper height to hang a picture is 57 inches from the floor to the center of the picture." However Barbara, if the picture is very tall, like 5 feet tall, you can hang it lower for effect.

• Barbara McKinney

Anne, Thank you so much!!! I have triplet grandchildren senior pictures 24 x 20" tall. Would I use same rule?

• I was going to say taller ladder, but lee Anne C taught me a few things tonight! Way to go!

• KMS Woodworks

WE have a tall wall in our living room...it is angled from about 8 to 16 feet. It is also located on the end with our woodstove. We hung a painting above the mantle so the bottom of the painting is about 18" above the mantle...the pic is about 2 x 3 feet in a landscape config. The upper wall is stained rough timber.

when hanging a picture in a room with walls fourteen feet high what are the, home decor, art above mantle
  • Barbara McKinney

Thank you.

• Yes the 57 inches from floor to center is the formula for hanging pictures on a wall with no furniture, like a hallway or landing. Of course if you are doing a grouping or hanging it over a mantle the formula does not apply and I totally agree with Project Styles approach.

• Barbara McKinney

Thank you, Ann. I appreciate the expertise you and the others have shared with me! This is invaluable information!

• Barbara, when you have walls that tall, you will need to hang some large tall pieces and/or stack some appropriate ones over each other to get some height on the walls. You will also need to hang your window treatments high.

• Barbara McKinney

Anne, Do you do interior design from your area to another state? I aim Facebook at barbaramckinney68@google.com

• Hey Barbara, I have designed nationally for 30 years. I tried to email you, but it did not go through. My email is cci@rapidoffice.com, can you email me? Sorry for the trouble.

• Barbara McKinney

Lee Ann please send me an e-mail message at : barbaramckinney68@yahoo.com. I have tried to email you several times and y message is returned saying the e-mail address is not correct. thanks, Barbara.

• I just emailed you again, this is bizarre//****....