Chloe S
Chloe S
  • New York, NY
Asked on Sep 5, 2012

Does anyone know what this plant is?

Darla.mae.Nancy HindsBetty Heckart
+44

I would really appreciate any advice concerning this plant. I have had it in water for a month but no roots have come out, I'm not sure what it is or what I need to do in order to plant it. Thank you very much!
mysterious green plant
mysterious green plant
  • Tess Webster

it looks like an onion shoot, without the flower at the top....?

• Barbara Redmon

Try root tone or some sort of root hormone and dirt.

• Vivian S

Where did you get it? does it smell like an onion?

• Lori K

if it didn't root in water try it in a sandy soil?

• Azzie Miller

Aloe plant?

• Cheryl E

Where did you get it? I'm guessing that you don't have enough of the plant (i.e, a part of it that has tissue that could generate roots) for a viable individual here.

• Jocelyn Joyce-Anderson

It's a variety of Mother in law tongue plant or snake plant. Sansevieria Family

• Lisa Conner

need a better pic but looks like a shoot of some sort, where did you get it, did you start it from another plant? Need more info.

• Jocelyn Joyce-Anderson

I just stuck mine in the planter and watered it. Rooted in about 3 weeks.

• Jane Russell

looks like what they call a milk weed.

• Cheryl Stewart

get some root starter its great and follow directions l;ooks like a leek

• Theresa Morris

Not sure either, But I would plant it in a pot with dirt. Some tropical flowers look & start like that. Plumeria plants grow like that. Good luck ..I'm interested in knowing what it is myself.

• Johanna Johnson

thinking it could be a plant native to Hawaii don't know the name try sand and water let us know

• Mary Meyer

sansevieria rotafolia or ..something like that. It is similar to a sansevieria. It is slow to root, but I would put it in potting soil and not water. If it is what I think, it is stiff and has a texture like a standard sansevieria. It's a cool plant.

• Tracy kimbro

I think it is an African Lizard tongue plant that when put in warm water grows feet and arms and attacks people in their sleep . They had a report on the national news tonight that ate up a whole family because they refused to let it watch reruns of Green Acres in russian . They say once you have touched the plant that you must immediately strip down to your underwear cover your whole body in axel grease and peanut butter and run as fast to you can to the nearest sewer treatment plant and jump in . I wish you good luck on removing this plant from your home . I would do it before the next full month comes . I have heard were wolves like to eat them and anyone who has touched a plant such as this one .

• Elizabeth Stump Kucera

I appears to be a succulent. Let it dry out for a couple of days then put it directly in the soil.

• Susan Wassick

looks like a piece o your garden hose.

• Barbara C

It looks like the stem of my ZZ plant, not sure if it would root or not.

• Jamala W

@Susan.. lol...

• Gail

I think Mary M is right- I think it could be the round version of Mother-in-laws tongue-

• Mary Ruth

BTW... Tracy.. very funny! I had a good chuckle reading your response!

• Carla Bell

Get some Miracle Grow potting soil, and plant it.

• Suzanne Foos

Tracy--that is one cool answer LOL Tks for the giggle ;)

• Felicia Vreeland

What state did you find it in? Is it fibrous or gel like. Is it solid or are there leaves wrapped somewhere? from the photo it looks like a candle

• Wendy Gulliver

Is it hollow? It looks like an onion leaf.

• Kim Geoffroy

Not sure what it is called, but I have one I bought from Walmart for $1.00 about 4 years ago, and it grows very well. I would put it in dirt and keep damp. I cut one and did this and it was good. Good luck.

• Kathy Vest

it looks like you cut the tops off an onion that was growing.

• Dawn

Appears to be a snake plant. Cut stem into 2" segments, lay on paper plate or towel, making sure that the larger (rooting ends) are all facing the same way. Allow to heal for 24-48 hours so scare tissue will form on cuts. Place large end (rooting) in well drained container filled with moist sand. Keep in warm place (70-80*) out of direct sunlight. Keep sand moist. Roots will form in 4-6 weeks.

• Alberta W

It's not aloe.....humm I don't know what is it?

• Denise R

Looks like aloe .

• Judy H

look up African Spike plant...could be that !!!!!

• Esther Thomas

Ask your garden nursery or agriculture department.

• Hannah T

I've know them to be called Snake Plants. They look like Snakes coming out of the ground in tall spikes

• Karen M

Looks like a pencil cactus. Round? I always thought Snake plants were striped and flat and also called Motherinlaws Tongue. What you have looks like a pencil cactus to me. Mine all grew roots in water after a while.

• Betty

Chole,Come back and let us know what you learn it to be.OK,Thanks

• Michela M

Not certain, but it looks like a horsetail plant to me, a perennial that can become invasive. Likes to be in moist earth, sun or mostly sun. Hardy in areas with a cold winter.

• Valli Seidle

It looks like sansavera family..do not root in water...soil only...dry plant....related to mother in law tongue....shade or sun...flowers smell sweet. If it dies call me I'll send more....easy to grow outside or inside...will live in dark too,

• Chloe S

wow thank you all so much for getting back to me. after looking through everything I think it must be the African Spear plant, thank you angelab for the photo link. I'm going to stick it in a pot and see what happens!

• Ellen

Cylindrical Sansevieria - a member of the snake plant family.

• Teresa Mireles

If you cut the bottom about a 1/4 inch. let it dry for a couple of days,dip that end in root starter and in sandy soil. It should take off. We have had one for almost thirty years. Don't know the name but it sure has taken off. We have them in pots in our front yd. Need little water in our hot weather.

• Brenda C

Looks like a succulent - Aloe plant.

• Maggie

looks ike an aloe plant

• Betty Heckart

garlic

• Darla.mae.

my daughter has one she said it is a spider cactus .

• Nancy Hinds

Hollow or solid? Have an oniony or garlic scent? Any flower or top to this? Where did it come from?

• Darla.mae.

Its hollow, it does not bloom ,I don,t know anything else about it except it is not fragrant . the growth pattern has no form . it just shoots out every direction.is still a pretty plant .