Diane S
Diane S
  • Wantagh, NY

Made a Storage/Shelf With Plastic Crates for Daughters Room for $16

I found these small plastic crates at the store Five Below for just $2 a piece.
They connect together with a small peg and hole and a snap on the sides.
To hang, I simply drilled a hole in the bottom of each crate, used an anchor and screw to attach to the wall and Viola! I would also recommend using a large flat metal washer behind the screw, since the plastic can crack, it will also add stability.
The hardest part was getting the stickers off the back. ;)
***For those that have expressed concern about the height of the crates, my house is a ranch and the upstairs ceilings are low. Two walls are slanted, so wall space is limited, I had to be creative. My daughter is almost 8 and is tall, so with the help of a small step stool, she can reach her toys. If your child is smaller, I would recommend hanging these crates lower.
Finished shelf
Finished shelf
individual crate
individual crate
Connected crates
Connected crates
hole drilled in bottom
hole drilled in bottom
added large metal washer for stability.
added large metal washer for stability.
Finished shelf
Finished shelf
3 step storage solution, bedroom ideas, shelving ideas, storage ideas

• Stephanie

How did you connect the crates before screwing them into the wall?

• Rosie

In the description, they mention that this crate design is one that simply snaps together. . . . It says: "They connect together with a small peg and hole and a snap on the sides." :D

• Ashley

I imagine that even if you have crates that don't connext like that, you could use zip ties at the back so they aren't noticeable

• Lynn Kelly

Be cool if they were attached to the wall in a staggered pattern and not even having to connect them

• Samantha

Where can one buy these crates?

• Elena

In the description, she says at "Five Below" (sheesh, people! Don'tcha read?).

• Mary Faupel Lauer

never heard of 5 Below before

• Lindsay

live in Canada what is 5 Below?

• Michelle R Stultz

It's a store where everything is $5 or below. Love it cause they have a great variety of things

• Bgray

My local Walmart currently has these crates on clearance for 50 cents each, just FYI...

• Christine Bonsi

Sometimes you can get them at dollar stores.

• How can she reach what she wants

• How did you connect the bins to each other?

• Tori

How did you get them level?

• Crystal Thursby

What is the size of each crate? Also, where did you find them that fit so well by snapping together? Oh my. I'm having a difficult time finding any around for $2. This is absolutely perfect I'm thinking 3 baskets above and 3 baskets down one side and 3 baskets down another and place a mirror in the middle? For an 8 year old, may have to do 4 to get the heighth necessary, I'll wait to hear the size of the baskets, great great idea!! Thanks so much.