Louise
Louise
Asked on Sep 6, 2012

What Fruit is This?

LouisePaul MDouglas Hunt
+12

My neighbor is Chinese and has a very nice garden near the street. I asked him what these were during one of my daily walks, but he didn't know the English word for it. Do you know what they are? Here are two photos.One shows what I assume is the ripe fruit (red) and the others are still working on it. They're in a tree about 20 feet tall. It's a slender, somewhat delicate-looking tree. The fruit is smallish, maybe 2 inches at most in length and about 1 /14 inch or so across.
q a chinese neighbor has a very nice garden near the street i asked him what these, gardening
  • Linda Rubin

Kind of looks like passion fruit

If the ripe fruit were more orange than red I might guess that it was a hachiya persimmon.

• Louise

It was very red. A darkish red, actually.

• Paul M

I don't know what it is but I do know that it is not a passion fruit. Passion fruit grows on a vine not in a tree.

• Patience T

persimmons maybe

• Louise

No, he has a nearby persimmon tree. These are longer than the "squattier" persimmons.

Hachiya persimmons are longer than the fuyus. Perhaps he'll give you one and you can cut it open.

• Louise

Ohhhh, OK, so these are persimmons, too? I've never even tasted a persimmon. He gave me some figs a few weeks ago which were quite tasty. I stopped to comment on his crops and he handed me some figs. Nice fellow.

• Sarah T

I've seen several types of persimmons, running farmers markets in CA - and none of the varieties every looked like that. I wonder if its been crossed with something and its a hybrid now.

• Louise

I might have discovered what this is. A friend was telling me about the great garden she inherited from the Chinese family whom she bought her house from and she mentioned jujubes, or Chinese date trees. Could this be the same, I wonder?

That seems decidedly possible, Louise.

• Paul M

I have never had any of that fruit but I have seen pictures of them and those do look like the photos of Jujubes I have seen before. I didn't know they were Chinese though. I have heard they taste a bit like pawpaw but once again I have not had the pleasure of comparing them, yet.

• Louise

I sent the photo to my friend who has this growing in HER yard and she told me that it is a jujube. Mystery solved!

• Paul M

If you get some Louise please let us know what the fruit is like. I know of several nurseries that sell these trees but I have avoided buying any because I have no idea what they are like.

• Louise

I never got any of this man's fruit, but yesterday a Korean friend offered me a piece of a rice cake. It had fruit in it so I asked what the fruit was. Some were raisins, which I knew, but she said the larger pieces were jujube. They were dried, obviously, and to me, tasted very similar to the raisins, but at least twice the size of a raisin.