Dianne
Dianne
  • Millington, TN
Asked on Sep 7, 2012

what is this bush

Cheryl NewmanDouglas HuntEllen H
+3

I just notices a lot of these in the woods behind my house. What are they & can I transplant some in my yard?
what is this bush, gardening
what is this bush, gardening

Do you have a photo of a whole shrub, Dianne?

• Sue G

It looks like what my Grandad called Teaberry.. If you smell the leaf and berry after crushing, it should smell like Teaberry..However, if you have never had or smelled Teaberry gum, you wouldn't know the scent.. They do grow in the woods freely ; )

• Dianne

I do NOT have a photo of the whole bush, I just broke a limb off & brought home with me. BUT I found it, it is a Spice Bush...& I can transplant them to my yard...

• Ellen H

The spicebush is the host plant for the spicebush swallowtail butterfly. So when you have it growing in your yard, be sure not to spray it when you see caterpillars chewing on it. :)

Ah, yes, spicebush. A great understory plant, and one that supports many kinds of wildlife.

• Cheryl Newman

Definitely spicebush. I have three, and they offer "volunteers" that can be transplanted. This is a wonderful native plant for the shade. Yellow flowers in early spring, red berries for birds, caterpillar food, and a nice yellow fall color. It needs both male and female plants to set fruit. I have one male and 2 females - perfect balance.