Cindy Mink
Cindy Mink
  • Winston Salem, NC
Asked on Sep 7, 2012

Suggestions for porch/entrance

Douglas HuntHelena @ Design Wotcha!Cindy Mink
+11

I love the inside of my split level home, but not so much the exterior entrance. Over the past 3 years I have made several improvements in the curb appeal, as indicated in the photos. We've changed the paint, new shutters, and many landscaping improvements. I want the front 'porch', which is a brick pad, to be more inviting, and to downplay the look of the split level exterior, without major renovations. I would love to hear your suggestions.
Pre-purchase 2009
Pre-purchase 2009
Spring 2010
Spring 2010
Spring 2010
Spring 2010
New landscaping spring 2012
New landscaping spring 2012
  • TRD Designs Ltd.

ok, the trouble here with this design is the entry. it height is overwhelming the rest of the home. The front door should be the focal point and any good landscape should lead your eye to the front door but here your eye is drawn to the brick work which is out of proportion. so, in saying that, I would look to add a large window if possible above the front door and add a portico that extends out from the house. that would take your eye off of the brick and give the house some depth.

• Cindy Mink

Thanks Tom!!

• Corine E

When I looked at this, I envisioned something like the White House...a porch 'roof' as tall as what you have now, but with columns holding it up...but it would stick out about ?10feet? Not sure of your dimensions...I don't know if it would require changing of your landscaping from this pic though. Or even putting a roof over the door and have a faux deck above.

• Corine E

This is something like what I had in mind, but to scale, obviously...but perhaps not curved...

• Corine E

Or a decorative "deck" like this...but simpler of course

• Jeanette S

You are on the right track because it is looking beautiful! One thing you have going for you is that you have a place to attach to the house (wood frame rather than the brick). Were I you, I would fill in that arch to bring the roofline of a covering down to normal level. Fill in with weatherproof lumber, add molding and put an accent piece up there. Then put on the size landing you want. Considering your location, white columns would definitely add to your house. The first column could sit just inside the lowered arch. You could add a serviceable stoop or go all out with whatever size porch suits you. Post photos!

Could you post a photo of your new landscaping from the front so we could see better what you have now? I think you could definitely achieve what you're hoping for with some good landscaping choices.

• Becky H

The least expensive way of taming the height of the entry would be to add a pergola to the front. There are so many opportunities and designs for these, it would be a matter of taste and balance w/the overall size and color of the home.

• Although changes to the house would make a difference, it might be costly. I would start with a cost effective change would be to simply change the front walkway. It could start in the same general location, bend outward toward the street and then bend back toward the front doors as you get closer. The landing at the front door should be larger and inviting, maybe add a bench or a seat wall and more landscaping to make it look fuller.

• Cindy Mink

Ohhhh, I am appreciating all these ideas! Obviously, every year the landscaping will fill in, but those ideas are much appreciated too. Jeannette and Becky, my husband and I had been thinking about a pergola and putting grape vines, or flowering vines on it, but I don't want to overwhelm it either. D&P, I was looking at these pics yesterday and thinking the same thing...rip out the current concrete walkway and do a weaving 'path' to the front door. I am not a fan of concrete and straight lines! :) A new pathway has to be part of the project. I am also planning to add a small water feature near the front as well. I purchased this house 3 years ago; it was a foreclosure needing lots of love, and it came at a good time and price for me. The front entrance has been challenging, because I do not like the typical 'split level' look.

q suggestions for porch entrance, curb appeal, landscape, porches, 9 2012q suggestions for porch entrance, curb appeal, landscape, porches, Far right showing extended bed with crape myrtle s there are 3 of them extending perpendicular from the houseq suggestions for porch entrance, curb appeal, landscape, porches, More plants to be added as budget allows Bed to the right of the door has 3 ever blooming azaleas in pink towards the front of the bed Alberta Spruce to right of front door Perennials throughout all beds A work in progressq suggestions for porch entrance, curb appeal, landscape, porches, New windows to come next year which I think will also help
  • Helena @ Design Wotcha!

I love all the porch suggestions, and i am glad you removed the shutters on the door but one thing you might consider - it may be cheaper - is to add an extra wide molding on the side of the door (where your shutters used to be) leading up to a half circle that spans the whole of the door and the new extra wide molding - it would just be a decorative wood panel in white. this will both "beef up" the door which looks a little lost in the space and "close the gap" between the new top of the door (with panel) and the roofline arch. if you do that i would then add a massive black lantern from the roofline hanging so most of it is silhouetted against the new half arch panel. (i think you have a pendant there now that is too small but you can use it's electrical)...

I think you need to soften the lines between the siding and the brick around the entry. You could achieve this with a pair of upright evergreens, like Magnolia grandiflora "Hasse." For a deciduous tree, something like the "Dura Heat" river birch would work (and the white bark would pick up your white trim). These would pull your plantings out from the house and provide more of an entrance, and your new meandering path would lead between them to your front door.