Angie Forte
Angie Forte
  • Lascassas, TN

Turn a Wine Rack Into a Standing Gun Rack

Taking a wooden wine rack kit that I didn't need, I turned it into a standing gun rack using part of the kit, a couple of 2x4s, and some scrap lumber.
how to turn a wine rack into a standing gun rack, diy, how to, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
This is the gun rack we now use during our skeet and trap shooting. Comes in pretty handy in the field.
The wine rack pieces with the semi-circles cut out were reinforced with a piece of scrap lumber and attached to 3 pieces of 2x4s creating a box shape. Two of these boxes can be made from the wine rack kit.
The two boxes are then attached with hinges at the top. Apply wood filler to screw holes and joints. Allow to dry, then sand smooth.
We painted our with Rustoleum 2x Ultra spray paint in hunter green. We also glue in strips of orange felt to protect the barrels of the guns. There more detailed information on how to build this on the blog!
Angie Forte

• Crystal Brock

where can I find this wine rack.. trying to build a gun rack and stuck on where to get the round parts.
    • Angie Forte

Add an answer...Hi Crystal, I got this from a kit through Home Depot but that was a few years ago. To find one now, I would head to a thrift store and see if you can find a cheap wooden wine rack with the same shape, like this one: http://amzn.to/2xDJeM2 (affiliate link but you don't have to buy new...I've seen many in the thrift stores). Hope that helps!!

• Thrift Diving

How cool!! SO funny, because I pulled out my wine rack kit from the Haven conference this year (thanks, Home Depot!) and I am using the round parts of the wine rack for a bridge for my son's car table that I'm working on for him! :) I love to see repurposed stuff like this! Great job, even if other's don't "get it." :)

• Diy Design Fanatic

Very nice and handy to have.