Ann S
Ann S
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Asked on Sep 8, 2012

What is this flowers name, this is one of the few flowers left still not sure of yet?

Kimberly Saxton ScruggsGill.brown63Irene
+23

It blooms in the spring/early summer!
Not sure of the purple one?
Not sure of the purple one?
Close up of it!
Close up of it!
  • Ann S

I love these they are so pretty! They came with the house too!

• Vicki

i think it is Wood Hyacinth????? I have those in different colors of pink, blue. purple, white.....they spreads more pretty flowers every year

• Ellen H

Spanish bluebells, in the hyacinth family. I have some too that came with the house. They bloom pretty early here in Alabama.

Yes, Spanish bluebells, Hyacinthoides hispanica. If happy they will slowly naturalize, but if you want to help them along, it will soon be time to plant more bulbs.

• Judy

@Douglas Hunt Don't remember but I'm sure you're right.....you usually are....All I know for sure is that they're very pretty & I really like them.

• Ann S

Thanks everyone, Douglas don't they multiply so can divide them in spring?

They multiply slowly, Ann. Eventually you may be able to dig up the bulbs and divide them, but if you want more sooner you'd need to plant more bulbs.

• Ann S

Ok thanks for the info Douglas, your a big help & I really appreciate it a lot!

• Mark Hopple

wood hyacinth

• Judy Parkey

Mine haven't multiplied like I thought they would but they have come back for...the past 15 years or so? I agree with Douglas Hunt...plant more. I have bought others but they haven't been as tall as the first ones I bought.

• Angie W

Douglas has never failed to know a flower.....Thanks Doug !

• Wanda sinnema

everyone is right..they can be a bit invasive..... in a mini bulb gets dropped on the soil..... and get covered up.. they are a wildflower in lots of wooded areas here in Washington...

• Sandy B

Mine multiplied, but very slow, it didn't become invasive at all.

• Patti Faust

What are the flowers behind the bluebells?

• Wanda sinnema

@Patti Faust WYGELIA,,,,, many varieties,,,,, and colors.. a fav or mine has striking dark rose blooms and more of a maroon foliage variety: WINE AND ROSES.....gorw into a nice shrub that blooms late spring earl summer, depending on the area

• Wanda sinnema

Doug is correct,,,, as usual....... they also come in white.. if you snip a stem,, the sap is kind of slime like.........

• Marianne Cerrito

I have them in NJ-- they are invasive... They grow through my ivy patch & hard to get rid of

• Sue

These could be Scottish Bluebells. They are 8 to 12" tall.

• Mandy Princess Boden

Look like blue bells to me

• The Blooming Gardener

UK is having problems with this plant: "An aggressive hybrid (Hyacinthoides x massartiana) - is the product of cross-breeding between the native bluebell (English) and the Spanish variety (Hyacinthoides hispanica)" They want their English Bluebell back!! I try to use Spanish Bluebells sparingly here and use USA native Virginia Bluebell. I DO really like the Spanish Bluebell, but generally try to support using non invasive plants whenever I can.

• Irene

it is against the law to dig up Bluebells in Scotland

• Fern Allen

@Irene Do you live in Scotland my mother was from there and would like to know of some of the native plants you can reply to REVFALLEN@aol.com if you can

• Gill.brown63

Blue bell for sure

• Kimberly Saxton Scruggs

Looks like Virginia Bluebells. If they are, they bloom in early Spring, just before some daffodils and die back until next year. I had some planted around my hostas as when the bluebells died back you wouldn't see their old leaves. They have a dark brown fleshy root/tuber that can be gently dug up and put somewhere else. Love their fragrance!