Upcycled Sweater Heating Pad

Now that the weather is dipping, it’s time to bust out those old sweaters. Not to wear… to cut up.
For this project I used a sweater sleeve to make a rice filled heating pad.
Start with your old sweater. This one was my son’s and it’s way too small now. I don’t know why we still had a boy’s size sweater in his closet (the things you find in your kid’s rooms).
Cut off the sleeve and if you want add an embellishment. I used the argyle pattern from the body of the sweater to add a heart. A simple running stitch with bakers twine holds it on. Stitch up the bottom and then fill with rice. Gather the top and stitch closed. Add some ribbon or cord.
More detailed instructions can be found on my blog at the link below.

Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Carolyn ~ homework

• Granny Jan
    Granny Jan

Will polyester or nylon melt in the micro? What fibers are best forthis? Cotton, wool or>>>?

• Gid4350246
    Gid4350246

Can you wash it with it filled with rice?

• Patty Sue Hulsey
      Patty Sue Hulsey

Although not made from sweater material, I have a sewn together and completely closed rice bag that was given to me as a gift by a coworker about six or seven years ago. It is a red plaid cotton. It has been heated in the microwave when I needed warmth and frozen when I needed cold. It is perfect still, has not rotted, does not smell…

probably the most useful gift I’ve ever gotten!

• Julie
    Julie

Do you use just regular rice.? How do I know if the material is safe for the microwave ?

• Jgr17404425
    Jgr17404425

Anything used for microwave including the thread used to sew HAS TO BE COTTON. Anything else will start melting then burst into flames. I have had it happen to me with the bags for baking potatoes.

• April Wehmanen Tadgerson
    April Wehmanen Tadgerson

I make hot packs out of fleece material and fill with "deer corn" they work great in the microwave but I make it rectangle and sew numerous lines down it to hold the corn in place or it wold all go to one end. Works so good on a sore back!

• Patty Sue Hulsey
      Patty Sue Hulsey

I’ll bet smaller ones would be great for a while in the pocket of the coat at a cold fall football game, too!