A Pair of French Henredon Tables

A client dropped off a pair of lovely Henredon tables that she had purchased on Craigslist. She wanted them done in a french look and I decided on a blue with gold accents. The finish complements the style of the tables and enhances their beauty.
painting a pair of french henredon tables, painted furniture
Here is the before pic. They were missing their handles but otherwise were in excellent condition.
Here is the after! We decided to keep the original finish on the tops as they were in perfect condition. The dark wood sets of the blue and gold perfectly.
The details really show now with the gold accents. I used Martha Stewart Antique Gold and also distressed the piece to make the detailing pop.
Here is a close-up of the gorgeous drawer.
Both clear and dark waxes were applied. This gives the paint depth and the hue changes in the light. I found replacement pulls online and their elegance were perfect on the tables.
It is so unusual to find pieces that still have lovely tops. These gleam in the light!
The Painted Drawer by Suzanne Bagheri

• Lola

I'm going on CL right now, how lucky to find those tables, beautiful job you did on them.

• Traci Darin

I personally struggle with painting antique woods because it is old forest growth and the grain can't be replicated. Also, the craftsmanship of the past is beyond fantastic and not generally duplicated (or if it is - astronomically expensive) BUT I love what you did here. After I got over my initial shock and really looked - your craftsmanship actually brought the craftsmanship to light - literally. To my eye, the wood's grain took precedence over the expert carvings and details and now the focus is on them! It's a beautiful job, well done in a way that honors the quality and genre of the piece. I'm shocked to admit that I love them!! PLUS, I agree with other posts, better used than stored in a basement somewhere getting warped.