Home Repair Tutor
Home Repair Tutor
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Water Leaks: 3 Plumbing Tips that Will Help You Avoid Problems

Our house has suffered from its fair share of water disasters. And unfortunately we've come home to find water leaks in our ceiling just above our kitchen (this happened as we walked through the door from a red eye flight back from Seattle, NOT FUN!).
I've also handled numerous calls from our tenants that have dealt with overflowing toilets, faucets leaking, washer hoses bursting, you name it.
So after my neighbor had to replace his water pressure regulator I decided to share easy plumbing tips that you can act on today or over the weekend that will help prevent water leaks:
+Test your water pressure with a $10 gauge and make sure it's not above 80 psi
+If your water pressure is too high have a licensed contractor install a regulator
+Adjust your existing water pressure regulator to reduce pressure to 55-75 psi
+Replace old supply lines with the steel braided variety
+Replace old shutoff valves in kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms with quarter turn ball valves-they are easier to use and rarely break compared to older valves
It's much cheaper to avoid replacing a collapsing drywall ceiling then actually having to hire a contractor to fix it :)
For more pictures and a video on how to adjust the water pressure in your house you can visit my latest blog post http://www.homerepairtutor.com/water-leaks-3-plumbing-tips-that-will-help-you-avoid-costly-problems/
Have a great day!
Do you have one of these in your house? This water pressure regulator keeps water pressure under 80 psi which in turn helps extend the life of your copper pipes & appliances.
Use a water pressure gauge to measure your, ummm, well water pressure :)
Old supply lines and shutoff valves like this one should be replaced before your spring a leak that can cause you quite a bit of aggravation and money.
Home Repair Tutor

• Mike

80 PSI? Around here, suburban Chicago, it is 55 PSI max.

• Sarah Smith

My husband and I are trying to find ways to prevent water damage after having our basement flood. We'll have to make sure to test our water psi this weekend and lower it if it's too high. Now we just need to find a plumber to come and fix the pipes after our flood. http://www.aabsoluteplumbing.com/service-woodbridge-nj.nxg

• Alice Jones

My home has a history of having leaks in our kitchen pipes, so I am looking online for various maintenance plumbing services tips. Your tip about replacing old supply lines with a material like steel braided variety seems like it would do wonders in preventing leaks. I think I'll call a plumbing service to come by and see if this would be beneficial to my home. http://www.greaneyandsweeney.com.au/services