DIY Wooden Snowflake - My Altered State

I’m a sucker for snowflakes. There, I said it.
To me, they are a perfect example of artistic use of symmetry, and the only version of mathematics that doesn’t make my head start hurting. (Typing the word “mathematics” just made my head start hurting.)
Last winter, I shared a tutorial on how to build large, Reclaimed Wood Snowflake.
This time around, I came up with a slightly modified version.
For
how to make a wooden snowflake, christmas decorations, crafts, how to, seasonal holiday decor
If you don’t like videos, I’ve got some diagrams below this “tools and supplies” image.
(I fell down the rabbit hole that is Google Sketchup. It took me a while to climb out of it, but I managed to walk away with the following plan images.)
I recommend painting the pieces before assembling the wooden snowflake.
Wooden snowflakes are made up of:
3 arms @ 33 inches long
12 V pieces (which equal 6 “V’s”) @ 6 to 8 inches long, at a 30° angle
12 triangles (which equal 6 bigger triangles), also at a 30° angle
*The smaller the snowflake, the shorter the V pieces will need to be. For example, If you made a snowflake with arms that are 25 inches long instead of 33 inches, the V pieces would need to be shorter or else they would overlap each other when you put it together.
*Check out the video for easy tips on cutting and assembling these pieces quickly.
Step one of assembly: Attach the V’s.
Step two: Attach triangles.
Step three: Stack assembled arms.
Step four: Drill center hole and secure snowflake from twisting.
MyAlteredState

• Rll28398785

Is the video still available? When I click on the link I receive an error.
    Thanks.

• Amy

How wide are the pieces?

• Mah33986755

I have used different widths for different snowflakes. Play with the degree of miters too, it gives you different looks. Here is a couple that I have made. The wht/wood ones will be roughly painted and aged.

• Amy

I would like to do this project but need to know how wide the pieces are please??

• Cqa39395576

The boards are 1x4x6. So each piece is 4 inches wide. It's stated on the list of items needed 😊

• Jan White

I made my snowflake out of wood from a pallet. I ripped my wood to 2 1/2" wide to get rid of the bad wood on the sides. I then used Rustoleum weathered wood accelerator and then dry brushed white paint on all sides. I think it turned out great!!! Thanks for the great idea. I am going to try and make 18" snowflakes out of lath. I'll let you know how they turn out. Grandma Jan

• Kjo34434082

Use 1×3 wood . Not 1×4 unless you want the chubby snowflake