SoPo Cottage
SoPo Cottage
  • South Portland, ME

Create Your Own Bathroom 'Rug' in Stone, Glass or Marble

With a little time and patience, you can create a 'rug' on your bathroom floor that creates a beautiful look that never bunches or shows signs of wear! It adds a nice touch, in what could be a boring space.
I've used this approach in numerous baths the last couple of years and thought I'd share some ideas. If you'd like to see my latest project, please check out my blog at http://www.sopocottage.com:
There are lots of options for mixing and matching stone, tile and glass to get a distinctive look for your bathroom. The beach house bath is chiaro marble squares with sea glass insets. The large 6 x 6 tiles provide the outside border and the inside is diagonal 4x4's. And there are sporadic glass tiles sprinkled through the center. The sink (on the right side of the photo) also has a sea glass top - so it all ties together.
The black and white bath floor has a center of carerra marble basket weave tile with a thin border of absolute black granite. The outside border is a very light carrera marble. This old fashioned bath is a great compliment in a 1920's farmhouse.
The bath/laundry room has a center and outside border of a marble look ceramic tile. The border is made up of glass and marble bars and has an absolute black granite accent strip to set it all off and tie to the granite vanity top.
Of course there are lots of other patterns you could create. Just think about what you could create!
Glass, marble and granite border creates this 'rug'
Marble and seaglass border
Marble and seaglass border
Vintage style black granite and carerra marble

SoPo Cottage

• Maryann

I'm ripping out built-in benches in kitchen and looking for flooring option. Old floor meet new. These ideas are helpful.

• I love this idea and your 3 bathrooms look great. I really think the marble one is so classic looking. I might do something similar on my bath remodel. You can also do the 'rug' placement with wood flooring. We did this travertine/onyx combo in our dining room. And in our bath area, I did some mosaics on cement board to mimic 4X4 tiles.