Designs by BSB
Designs by BSB
  • Lawrenceville, GA
Asked on Sep 14, 2012

Help with cypress table

DebbieWallsTreat Studio/ Kass WilsonKMS Woodworks
+9

Ok wood working masters, what would you do here? We bought this very cool cypress table several years back and it came with a very thick top coat that got exposed to elements and thus.. needs to be refinished. I started to peel it off to show how pretty it is, but wondering if this is sanded will the white/exposed marks sand down to be as pretty as the rest?
Im not too worried abou the cracks - just want to clean this up and enjoy it! Its pretty short -- so not sure where I will use it yet, any ideas? advice? :)
q help with cypress tables, painted furniture
  • KMS Woodworks

I would attack it with a thin putty knife to get as much of that plastic crap off of there as possible...then I would start to clean it up with a belt sander...the weathered wood may or may not return to the original color...it all depends on how deep the marks are. If you see a bit of improvement quickly you me be lucky and get it all back to the richness of the original. After the heavy sanding is completed with the belt sander I would switch to a RO and work up from 80 or so to 220. For finish I would use a satin wiping poly...its what I use on nearly all my log furniture stuff.

q help with cypress tables, painted furniture, satin wiping poly on walnut
  • Z

Becky Sue, I wish I could help you, but I've never worked with that type of finish on wood before. Let's hope Kevin comes along, because my guess it he'll be able to help you. As for what to do with it, I'm not sure since I don't know your personal style, but I think I'd be tempted to take it off it's base and hang it on the wall as art. I checked your blog, but it's business related so no clues there. I guess if you have a covered or enclosed deck/sunroom it could work as a side table for drinks once it's refinished.

• Jeanette freeze

THINK YOU COULD USE FINE SAND PAPER ,THEN RE COAT WITH ABOUT 5/LAYERS POLUTHENE,,I HAVE A SET

• Z

Ha! Kevin and I must have been posting at the same time. I knew he'd know just what to do Becky Sue.

• Designs by BSB

When I was sitting by this table the other evening... and I told my husband.. "I know just the expert to ask" ;-) Thank you all for your input!

• KMS Woodworks

let us know and share pics of the progress...I would not worry too much about "oversanding" that thing is plenty thick

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

It looks like the table has a two part epoxy 'bar top' finish, typical for a unit like that. I have one too like that. The white areas are air bubbles, where the weather has started to lift off the product. Epoxies don't hold up outside. It needs to be sanded down to bare wood. To knock it out quickly, I think I would rent a floor sanding edging tool with some 40-50 grit paper to start. You can chip off the bark edge because there is no way to strip it of the coating.

• Once the current coating is off, make sure to use water-based products fo your topcoat. Solvent based will always discolor over time.

• KMS Woodworks

Kass...i'm going to have to push back on that generalization...I have many oil based items that are 20 + years old with out any hint of yellowing...I prefer the richness of most oil finishes...to me most of the water based products seem to have a milky overcast and do not "pop" the grain as much.

• KMS, you are right about the haze that can occur with "over the counter" water based products. That can easily happen if the correct applicator tools are not used or if the products are over-worked. Good point.

• Debbie

If u do start sanding it down be careful not to go to far into the wood or it will really mess it up no way I have found to fix it right. The white should come off. Lightly sand.

• Debbie

Perfect for a deck