Goodbye Dirty White Carpet......Hello Gorgeous Maple Hardwood Floors!

We have all had that perfect, spotless white carpet in our homes. Problem is it doesn't stay that way. Spills happen, a family member walks on it with dirty shoes....and that white carpet turns into a dingy, mushroomy color. No amount of cleaning can ever bring it back to life! Right? It needed to get replaced and I was dreading having even more carpet in our house.
The hallway and my son's room were a priority, as I wanted our staircase to flow into hardwood, and he has so many allergies I wanted the carpet out of his room. I was "talked" into biting the bullet and getting the other 3 bedrooms done as well. Still biting that bullet.....but loving the end result!
I truly didn't think to take many before shots of the carpet. In my eyes, this project happened really fast, but in reality it was months in the making!
Here is the best I could do with a before and after of the hallway!
I love how the Maple flows from the hallway into the bedrooms. This is an angled floor plan and I was nervous how it was going to actually come to life.....it is perfect!
Here is a shot of what you see as you are coming up the stairs....
This is still my favorite shot of "before and afters"!
I love these stairs. Which is good as I poured a number of blood, sweat and tears into these babies. But that is another story in itself! =)
If you would like to see the full transformation, you can head on over to the blog......

Shaunna @ Tempting Thyme

• Stephanie Batory Meatte

Beautiful! I have the exact same situation. My question is how did they lay new wood when you have your stair case ballisters? I just had mine done not thinking I’d like to replace the floor.

Also, what kind of stain and how many coats on the steps? Poly?

It all looks great! Guess I need to get moving!

• Shaunna @ Tempting Thyme

Thank you! The ballisters were set in some molding by the contractor so the floor installers did not have to mess with them; they just laid the flooring alongside the molding. I used minwax polyshades in Tudor. I put a lot of coats on the treads.....I think 5-6.

• Celia Cepeda

I also want to do this to my house, my fear is what to put as treading (sp)? So that slips do not happen on a cold day and there there is always socks and possible spills. Have you put anything down?

• Brenda Chavez

You can purchase non slip stair treads. They come in all sorts of styles and colors. I have actually seen some that are all vinyl that fit snugly on each tread.

• Tina

Your staircase looks beautiful. What type of paint/stain did you use on the steps? Was removing the carpet difficult...how long did it take to remove the carpet and paint/stain your staircase?

• Shaunna @ Tempting Thyme

Thank you! I used Miniwax Polyshades in Tudor. Removing the carpet wasn't hard, but getting all the staples up was very tedious. This project took about 2 weeks to complete, but to be fair I worked on it after work, and we had an unexpected bathroom emergency that caused a delay as well.

• Shaunna @ Tempting Thyme

Thank you! I used the rough pine that I found under the carpet. I did alot of sanding and created a rounded edge on each of the steps. I wanted to swap out all of the boards, but they were anchored into each side of the wall......so I had to get creative, and had to have lots of patience with the sanding.

• Pat

What kind of wood flooring did you use? We are going to do our house after Christmas.