Diane H
Diane H
  • Orlando, FL
Asked on Sep 15, 2012

Do all homes need rain gutters?

MichaelDouglas HuntDiane H
+7

I live in Florida. Most of the homes in my community do not have rain gutters. the houses were built in 2001. Why wouldn't they have rain gutters?
  • KMS Woodworks

Cheap builders? Rain gutters should be on every home...Period. Even out here in the desert west we have gutters...the lack of them in rainy florida makes no sense.

• Z

I'm with Kevin. It makes no sense at all.

• Shari

Funny, I actually never gave it any thought before but neither of the 2 homes I have owned in the Tampa Bay area have had rain gutters. One house was built in 1956, and the other in 1978 so the absence of rain gutters is definitely not a "new" trend, or specific to your neighborhood community. Both of my houses have had sloped roofs and a fairly wide overhang which seems to allow the water to run off the roof a couple feet from the exterior walls/foundation. Maybe it has something to do with the design/style of homes we have here in Florida?? Or maybe it's just the "norm" for our region--like basements are common in many parts of the country but rare in Florida. I don't really know. It would be interesting for other Floridians to comment on this.

• Dee W

My daughter just moved to Holly Hill and half of her house has gutters. Where there are none there is a long overhang so I assumed it had to do with design or some such thing.

• Z

It does make sense if the deep overhang is mixed with the right grading to keep water away from the home.

• Diane H

I don't have a deep overhang. must just be cheep builders. I'm going to get gutters. thanks everyone.

It's very common for homes in Florida not to have gutters. Mine was built in 1960 and doesn't have them. I believe it's a combination of the fact the sandy soil means there usually are not drainage issues, and that most homes are built on concrete slabs without basements.

• Diane H

my house is built on a concrete slab. if so, do i need to be concerned with damage to the foundation from water?

If you are concerned, you should have a professional come and look, Diane. But I think if you have typical soil and your property has been graded properly, it should not be an issue.

• Michael

I live in Tampa area and during the rainy seasons, we get a ton of water. Several areas north of Tampa are prone to sink hole activity. Also, north and west of Tampa land that once was swampland is now rich with residential communities (some with poor grading) . I would always recommend getting gutters, a cheap investment to save the permeter of your home from getting a ton of water dumped around it. Basement and concrete slab or not. In my opinion. Especially if its going right into your landscaping beds and over flooding your plants, situational, I suppose.