Becky (J) P
Becky (J) P
  • Highland, IL

Overwintering Geraniums

Would you believe this Geranium is 5 years old? With a total outlay of approximately $10, the total cost per year is $2. When it is time for frost, bring your geraniums into the garage/shed for the winter. I hang mine from the ceiling with hooks. Let it go dormant and when March rolls around and the weather gets nicer, start putting it out in the sun during the day and start watering it. (I don't water all winter long.) It will get ratty looking, but in the Spring, remove all the yucky stuff, it'll grow back. I had about given up on this one this Spring, and look at it now!
overwintering geraniums, gardening

• Becky (J) P

I'm going to have to try this myself (the basement) this winter. I moved, and they didn't survive (finally, after all these years) in the garage at this house. Going to try with the new batch of geraniums I bought this year.

• Margaret Campbell Gallagher

to my surprise my geraniums survived the winter in my heated basement. I will try again this year. love the savings instead of buying new plants. And don't forget to dig up your tubers in the fall.