Noting Grace
Noting Grace
  • Columbia, TN

DIY Pallet Kitchen Island for Less Than $50

$48

Using Pallets can be an economical way to add a rustic feel to your home when you are creating furniture.
how to make a pallet kitchen island for less than 50 dollars, diy, kitchen design, kitchen island, pallet, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
We moved to a rental before purchasing our home. Our rental lacked kitchen storage and counterspace, but with a tight budget, we needed to find a creative way to stretch our budget and build a kitchen island that would solve our storage problems.
We purchased 4 x 4s for the corner posts and 2 x 4s for the support structure. When measuring, we made sure there was allowance for appliance doors to open and close, as well as catering the height to work for my husband and I. Your measurements will vary based on your space in the kitchen.
I wanted the exterior to show the weathered wood from the pallets. Look at that gorgeous gray! *swoon*
I used 2 contrasting woods for the front to add that rustic, junky feel. We attached the pallet wood using the original holes from the pallets.
The bottom shelf would be visible, so we cut the pallet sides at varying lengths. I finished the fresh cut edges with distressing glaze to match the original weathering of the wood.
We added a second shelf using the side supports as brackets.
For the top, I didn't want to use pallet wood since it would be used as a cooking surface. Even though we cleaned and pressure washed our pallets, I didn't feel comfortable with all the critters that may have crawled across. Ew! We had spare 2 x 4s on hand that we cut to fit the top. If you don't have spare wood on hand, this may add to your overall cost.
I used the same distressing glaze on the posts and tops to richen the wood color and add that slight weathered look.
What have you created using pallet wood? Check out my blog for other ideas and more details of this build.
Noting Grace

• Dave

So how do you keep the food out of the cracks on the top?

• Noting Grace

Hi Dave, great question! We butted the pieces up tight enough that most crumbs wipe off, but about once a season, I would vacuum the slats to keep it clean.

• Noting Grace

• Noting Grace

• Janel Hinton

Use a large chopping board!

• Noting Grace

Excellent idea!

• DebraLW

You could also glaze the top with the polyurethane that fills in the cracks & hardens like old fashioned bar tops you would see in saloons. It will give it a shiny appearance though in case you don't like that look.

• Noting Grace

@Redmarklabs - we thought about that option, but drying time was an issue and with curious little boys floating around, we were sure we'd find finger prints or legos embedded in the shellac! LOL

• maybe a 2CM granite or engineered quartz top? (not as heavy as the commonly used 3CM material) :)

• Nat

Hi, how do you dismantle the pallet? I find the boards crack or it's impossible to remove the deep nails from the wood...

• Noting Grace

We use a crowbar, but if it looks like the wood is beginning to crack, we take a reciprocating saw to cut through the old nails. It makes disassembly so much quicker.

• Nat

Thanks very much. I'll try both of these tips. I've always wanted an excuse to buy a crowbar!

• Thereinaflash

Check out pallet paw. Com
      awesome tool