How To Make An Outdoor Christmas Arrangement Using A Very Easy System!

I love to make several different outdoor Christmas arrangements every holiday season! I am not a trained floral designer but I have a system that I follow that is super easy and works every time.
how to make an outdoor christmas arrangement for the garden, christmas decorations, container gardening, how to, seasonal holiday decor
When I design and make my outdoor Christmas arrangements I think of these terms in this order: THRILLER, SPILLER, FILLER, EMBELLISHMENTS. If you look carefully at this arrangement you will see that the tall red branches are the THRILLER. The Scotch Pine greens and cedars draping outside of the urn are the SPILLER and the red poinsettias are the FILLER.
Yes, that is real snow! I recommend investing in quality silk flowers (I always look for the sales and use coupons). These flowers are about five years old and are out in the open exposed to the winter elements during the holiday season.
Then I had fun adding the embellishments to give the arrangement some sparkle and a personal touch! I added some red Christmas balls as well as some red and some gold glittery picks…
… and a made large bow out of gold metallic wire and red and gold ribbon.
Here is another example of an outdoor Christmas floral arrangement I made using the same system. Can you see the THRILLER, SPILLER, FILLER and EMBELLISHMENTS?
I invite you to stop by the blog post for more photographs and detailed instructions!
Time With Thea

• Ruth Richardson

These are beautiful. In your blog, you noted that these arrangements would last for 2 months. I made a few arrangements last year and in addition to the soil, filled the containers with water. The water eventually froze (we're in Canada, eh!) and the greens kept fresh and pliable until spring with no drying out or discolouring. I tend to decorate the pots as a winter theme as opposed to Christmas but you can certainly add and remove Christmas-y items to the display.

• Ruth Richardson

@Time With Thea Yes, I knew you were from Canada, hence the 'eh' reference (although we don't really say that all the time!). I am from Ontario and haven't had any snow yet but it is just around the corner. Alberta has a head start as usual! That's odd that the ice treatment has not worked for you. Last year was the first that I had done this so we'll see how it turns out this winter. Thanks again for your post. Many people will benefit from it.

• L O V E IT

• Ruth Richardson

Ahh, Diane we share the good name of Richardson. That by itself is not that unusual but one of my male ancestors married a "Sargeant" many years ago! :) Only a slight variation on that spelling. Couldn't resist commenting!