What can I do to "liven up" this bookcase?

I have a bookcase that my grandfather built years ago, before I was even born, and I remember it being in their house all my life growing up. So I love it because it was made by his hands. It's a great bookcase, large, sturdy, but over the years it's become worn. I think he painted it brown (see pics). My living room is white mostly although I do have their coffee table as well that is dark wood and extremely HEAVY as well. I want to paint my living room (again don't know what to do color-wise, I'm not good at picking colors) and I want to do a collage of old family photos on the wall next to this book case. Any ideas as to what I can do to liven up this bookcase that won't mess up the wood? I have NO IDEA what type of wood it is??? Thanks!
up close of the shelf....maybe someone can tell what type of wood it is??

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk

• Cathy Thompson

I have two similar bookcases in a very dark brown. The wood is cheap so sanding and painting are out. There are two doors at the bottom. I would like to have them much lighter as in white.

Any ideas how I could this, or just sell and buy new.

• Ese8934807

If you like to keep it brown sand it and give it a fresh paint job with a gloss stain or a high gloss paint and don't put to many what nots on it because it takes the look away from it put books on low shelf, and maybe putting something colorful on it because what you have on it everything really really to dark, hope everything works out for you

• Marion Nesbitt

Board - could use as a chair rail. Lots of ideas - bottom or top could be wallpapered. I'd strip an inconspicuous spot on the bookcase. If it's good wood, then I'd strip and stain. In my opinion only, there is too much on the bookcase. Instead of having the books all lined up on one shelf, you could move some to another shelf - maybe lay these on their sides instead of having them upright. Then edit until you have a pleasing, uncluttered display.