Carol S
Carol S
  • Warwick, RI

We made steps from decorative concrete Blocks.

Just big in, place, mix and pour .. Gee that makes it sound soooooo easy ---
Picked these blocks up from the curb years ago and used them as edging in my front yard garden.  Then I finally found a  much better use for them. I wish I had thought of this years ago but I did not have help then.
Picked these blocks up from the curb years ago and used them as edging in my front yard garden. Then I finally found a much better use for them. I wish I had thought of this years ago but I did not have help then.
My grandson helped with the heavy stuff. I had  bags of Quckcrete, left by my x-huband.  So all materials cost zip!  I am going to make a cement slab at the base and landing.  Then add hostas & perrenial flowering plants on the sides.
My grandson helped with the heavy stuff. I had bags of Quckcrete, left by my x-huband. So all materials cost zip! I am going to make a cement slab at the base and landing. Then add hostas & perrenial flowering plants on the sides.

• Sally Andrew

Did you start at the bottom and go up? I have 6 large blocks that my grandfather used at his place for steps. I also have a large slope/hill in my backyard. Thought this would be a great combo but haven't figured out how to start.

• Cheryl

I wouldn't want to be wearing heels on these steps..

• Bolan Hoffbauer

Is this by code? To me It doesn't look right and I would want a handrail for those steps . The steps doesn't look wide enough and it doesn't seem the ground was prepared correctly? Using a sub-base granular fill to help when the ground shifts or deteriorates. The sub-base needed tamp down extremely firmly. Your concrete's strength depends on a solid sub base. Also I would use a thick gauge wire mesh to reinforce the ground since water would erode that hillside. In this picture you can tell these people used a sub-base and a level. The stones in that picture might be a hazard as well but you get the idea.
    • Mindshift

I have a steep but short stretch down to a small bridge over a creek. Much less steep then the construction above. I added five 16x16" concrete foundation pads as steps. I sloped them slightly into the hillside, but all of them have shifted downhill.

Perhaps the person who posted this did not need a permit; no one outside a city usually does. I agree with you that the construction seems haphazard, and I wonder how these steps have held up almost 6 years later.