We made steps from decorative concrete Blocks.

Just big in, place, mix and pour .. Gee that makes it sound soooooo easy ---
Picked these blocks up from the curb years ago and used them as edging in my front yard garden. Then I finally found a much better use for them. I wish I had thought of this years ago but I did not have help then.
My grandson helped with the heavy stuff. I had bags of Quckcrete, left by my x-huband. So all materials cost zip! I am going to make a cement slab at the base and landing. Then add hostas & perrenial flowering plants on the sides.

3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look

• Sally Andrew

Did you start at the bottom and go up? I have 6 large blocks that my grandfather used at his place for steps. I also have a large slope/hill in my backyard. Thought this would be a great combo but haven't figured out how to start.

• Cheryl

I wouldn't want to be wearing heels on these steps..

• Bolan Hoffbauer

Is this by code? To me It doesn't look right and I would want a handrail for those steps . The steps doesn't look wide enough and it doesn't seem the ground was prepared correctly? Using a sub-base granular fill to help when the ground shifts or deteriorates. The sub-base needed tamp down extremely firmly. Your concrete's strength depends on a solid sub base. Also I would use a thick gauge wire mesh to reinforce the ground since water would erode that hillside. In this picture you can tell these people used a sub-base and a level. The stones in that picture might be a hazard as well but you get the idea.
    • Mindshift

I have a steep but short stretch down to a small bridge over a creek. Much less steep then the construction above. I added five 16x16" concrete foundation pads as steps. I sloped them slightly into the hillside, but all of them have shifted downhill.

Perhaps the person who posted this did not need a permit; no one outside a city usually does. I agree with you that the construction seems haphazard, and I wonder how these steps have held up almost 6 years later.