DIY Drop Cloth Christmas Pillows

7.6K Views
One item I wanted to get checked off of my pre-holiday to-do list was to make Christmas throw pillows for our family room sofa. To keep the cost low, I used a drop cloth for the main body of the pillows and the red ticking stripe fabric was a scrap I had leftover from another project. All I had to buy was the white felt for the wreath pillow, the red buttons, and the zippers to enclose the pillows.
  • how to make drop cloth christmas pillows, christmas decorations, seasonal holiday decor, reupholster
First I cut out the squares for the front and backs of the pillows out of a drop cloth. I cut them in 19.5″ squares, which was 1.5″ larger than my pillow forms to allow for the seams.
For the wreath pillow, I used a large mixing bowl to trace a circle (in pencil) on the front of my drop cloth square. Then I free-hand drew a leaf shape stencil and cut the leaf shapes out of a piece of white felt. I ended up needed about 55 leaves. Then I placed them randomly around the circle that I had traced and pinned them down.
To attach them, I used my sewing machine to sew a line down the middle of each leaf. Once that time consuming task was done, I sewed the little red buttons on by hand.
For the reindeer pillow, I printed out an image of a reindeer silhouette and enlarged it on my copier. It ended up being too big to fit on one piece of printer paper, so I had to tape a few pieces together. Once I cut it out, I pinned it to a piece of scrap drop cloth and cut that out. Using red thread, I free-hand stitched the reindeer onto a piece of ticking stripe fabric and used Fray Lock to keep the edges of the reindeer from totally unraveling. When I sewed the ticking stripe onto the drop cloth square, I left the edges raw so that it would also have a frayed vintage look.
My plan was to just get them made and put them away until I’m ready to decorate for the holidays, but since they took so much effort, I think I’ll be leaving them out so that I can enjoy them as much as possible.

Suggested materials for this project:

Meadow Lake Road

Ask a Question