Make Faux Birch Logs Using Foam Pool Noodles

Birch logs are so beautiful and bring a bit of the great outdoors into your home. I enjoy the coziness that logs bring. However, birch logs can be hard to find and when you do find them they aren't cheap.
make faux birch logs using foam pool noodles, christmas decorations, crafts, seasonal holiday decor
I designed a "Santa's Cabin-in-the-Woods" theme Christmas tree. I wanted the look of birch and figured out how to create it using foam pool noodles from the dollar store. Also, a good alternative is plumbing insulation from the hardware store.
If you want to see more pictures of my tree and for Chrismas Tree decorating tips and hacks visit this post http://www.designdazzle.com/2014/11/christmas-tree-decorating-tips-hacks/
It's fun for me to think of unique ways to use dollar store items such as pool noodles to repurpose into something completely different!
This is what the birch logs should look like once the paper is all glued on and dried. Wrap the craft paper around the pool noodle to measure how much paper you will need. Cut at the proper width, making sure that the whole noodle is covered. Rip the paper into strips horizontally. Crumple the strips into wads so that the paper will be wrinkled. Then, paint the pool noodle with the tacky glue. Arrange the paper on the noodle, covering the whole thing.
Please check my blog post for the complete tutorial and instructions. Link to the blog post is at the bottom of this post.
The logs placed in a basket of greenery, twigs, pine cones and lights make for a beautiful arrangement in front of the fireplace.
For the complete tutorial see our blog post.
Toni - Design Dazzle

• Chris Froehlin Ansell

I live in Michigan. Can't find pool noodles after June. Where can I get them?

• Mcd31013420

Try a goodwill store or thrift shop. If you don't see them ask if they have them in the back.

• Rita Piper- Phillips

why do people put half the project on and the tell us to follow on their blog

• Sandra

Wow I can't believe they are fussing about learning to make beautiful things...lol. regardless where you need to click. Great job on the logs

• Diane McGee Raezer

Could you use empty paper towel cardboard tubes ?

• Onie Ross

i sure will be trying this thanks

• Kathleen Neff

Did 6 of these logs and I can't believe how realistic they look! Thank you for your detailed directions!!