Make Faux Birch Logs Using Foam Pool Noodles

Birch logs are so beautiful and bring a bit of the great outdoors into your home. I enjoy the coziness that logs bring. However, birch logs can be hard to find and when you do find them they aren't cheap.
make faux birch logs using foam pool noodles, christmas decorations, crafts, seasonal holiday decor
I designed a "Santa's Cabin-in-the-Woods" theme Christmas tree. I wanted the look of birch and figured out how to create it using foam pool noodles from the dollar store. Also, a good alternative is plumbing insulation from the hardware store.
If you want to see more pictures of my tree and for Chrismas Tree decorating tips and hacks visit this post http://www.designdazzle.com/2014/11/christmas-tree-decorating-tips-hacks/
It's fun for me to think of unique ways to use dollar store items such as pool noodles to repurpose into something completely different!
This is what the birch logs should look like once the paper is all glued on and dried. Wrap the craft paper around the pool noodle to measure how much paper you will need. Cut at the proper width, making sure that the whole noodle is covered. Rip the paper into strips horizontally. Crumple the strips into wads so that the paper will be wrinkled. Then, paint the pool noodle with the tacky glue. Arrange the paper on the noodle, covering the whole thing.
Please check my blog post for the complete tutorial and instructions. Link to the blog post is at the bottom of this post.
The logs placed in a basket of greenery, twigs, pine cones and lights make for a beautiful arrangement in front of the fireplace.
For the complete tutorial see our blog post.
Toni - Design Dazzle

• AndradeTea

Very clever. They look realistic and go with the arrangement so well!

• Doreen

I'm in awwe!!! Extremely realistic looking!!! Better yet it cost nothing!! Ilove love love birch!!! I actually like when someone this creative has a blog, this way I can see other things they have made! and repurposing something, even better. I did a pool noodle wreath for Halloween using socks from The Dollar tree!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!