MARY T
MARY T
  • Fountain, CO
Asked on Sep 19, 2012

RANCH WITH NO BASEMENT; CRAWLSPACE ONLY

KandyFULLAITArlene S. King
+12

When we purchased this home, we noticed that there were rocks/stones under the crawlspace area. Over time, cats found their way to take shelter under our house and redecorated by kicking the rocks into the yard. (LOL). I know there must be some purpose for the rocks, be it to prevent water buildup or condensation problems.
I wonder if you can help me with these questions:
1. Before putting down rock, should we put down a thick plastic covering first?
2. How high up shoud we pile the rocks up?
I have asked several places about this and no one had a good answer for me. I appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you.
q ranch with no basement crawlspace only, curb appeal, home maintenance repairs, how to
  • Warren G.

I just made this comment to someone that was having a problem with a smell coming from their crawl space. But the Directions are the same. "The smell you are getting is from moisture/mold from the ground. This can be cured by covering the ground with gardening ground cloth. Then put gravel on top. This should let any moisture drain. Also make sure that the screen cover air vents at the foundation are cleaned out. You need good air flow to keep the air circulated under the house. You may have to add more air vents to increase the air flow. You even need air flow during the winter months ( if you have a dry winter you may get by with less air flow ), but you still need air flow in winter." The gravel should be about 2-3 inches, deep enough to drain the moisture away from the surface.

• MARY T

Warren: That's wonderful! Thank you for the advice! Now I can also prevent the ordors from occurring!

• Warren G.

I guess I have given you out dated information. Woodbride Environmental has sent me some information as to the correct way to correct your problem. Please follow me so I can send you a message with the corrected information. I am sorry that my information was out dated. But things have changed a lot in the last thirty years....

• MARY T

Warren: Okay, thank you. I'll be looking for the info.

• Warren G.

Mary....Apparently the site has not connected us up yet. You are listed as following me but I am unable to send you a message. So send me an email and that way I get your email address. I will send the info that way...Sorry I have tried several times but am unable to send you a message. Warren ......email: wkguerrjr@hotmail.com

• Lulu Dubin

Hi @Warren, actually you are following Mary, but Mary is not following you. Due to privacy concerns, we only allow private messages to be sent between people who are following each other. @MARY, you can follow Warren by clicking the red "Follow" button on his profile, if you want to be able to send messages between the two of you.

• MARY T

Thank you, LuLu.

• MARY T

I don't have a clear cut response yet. Thank you.

• Warren G.

Did you get my email?

• MARY T

Warren: No I havent. Would you please write again? Thank you.

• Warren G.

OK...Just sent it again to your email account let me know if you don't get it I will post it here....But if you follow me I could just send it through this site...

• Arlene S. King

I, too, have a bungalow with crawl space. You get into my crawlspace through a 'door' (hatch) in my laundry room floor. To stop it smelling musty someone advised hanging a single light bulb down there (turned on, of course!). It worked!! Because I don't have a garage (only a carport) I store a lot of stuff down there, so a friend installed fluorescent light fixtures down there, (3 on each side!) and I've put old rugs down there on the terribly rough, unfinished concrete down there. I have a few wet spots that I leave open to the air. So, it isn't an 'adventure' to go inside my crawlspace any more-- other than fighting the cobwebs that the spiders like to form from the light fixtures!!

• FULLAIT

Are you referring to the crawl space as the over-hang or an actual dugout semi basement under the house? If "Overhang" Fill/Grade (angle, pitch, the dirt to angle away from the house (to drain water away) and put down plastic then cover with enough stones to hide the plastic as it's just ornamental. Be aware: The cats might not be taking refuge there, it may be their LITTER BOX. Keep growth back away from the foundation so it's not touching the house (ants) and direct all down spouts away from the foundation. You might need a small border to contain the stone and keep away from lawnmower. Not a big job. Good luck.

• Kandy

If you want to keep the rocks, but prevent access to the cats, maybe you could anchor wooden lattice work with screws around the sides.