Bernice H
Bernice H
  • Woodburn, OR
Asked on Sep 19, 2012

bell peppers, how to freeze

3po3Dee WBernice H
+10

I just got some gorgeous red bells for 49 cents apiece, I am too tired to google, anyone know off the top of their hat how to freeze them? thank yew...
  • Dee W

Hi Bernice, I too do this every year from my garden's bounty. Wash and dry them well. Core and deseed. Then slice, dice or chop according to what you will want them for. Lay them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze for 2 hours. Scoop them off with a spatula right into a freezer bag/container. Will last 6 mos. or so. Hope this helps.

• 3po3

I agree. I did the exact same thing last year, and had a great winter of chilis and soups.

• Bernice H

Ok I can do this. We put some on the bbq the other night...oh wow! Where have i been? Tossed in a little olive oil, then bbq ,and they were as sweet as candy! Zucchini slices are good n the bbq too, just dont over cook, keep crispy. Cukes are good bbq 'd also! Thick slices.yum But I am anxious to freeze these guys because at the grocery store they are still 1.49 each! And the produce stands..49 cents each.

• Lori J

My best friend's mom used to freeze chopped peppers in ice cube tray with enough water to cover. Once frozen, she kept them in a brown paper bag in the freezer and added at will to soups and casseroles.

• Sarah T

freshpreserving.com - It the Ball website, and they will tell you how to do it. You'll likely have to blanch them first.

• Dee W

You can blanche them, but I really have never found much difference in texture or taste after doing that so I don't bother anymore.

• Barbara R

I do exactly like Dee and Steve. Simple wash, core and seed. I have diced them, sliced them and halved them for the freezer. I then use them for stir fries, soups, stews etc... I also stuff them and freeze them. When ever I want stutted peppers for supper, I take them out and bake them. They are fantastic!!

• Bernice H

oh wow! I never thought of stuffing and freezing! Especially with red peppers, they must be fantastic. We had bbq peppers again last night, we just kept saying ohhh yumm uuummm ohhh..I wonder what my neighbors thought? We were eating outside!

• Dee W

They were waiting for you to pass them a fork! haha

• Bernice H

Think? Think that waszit?

• Bernice H

Well, I just bought about 10 more peppers, sliced and froze. I pulled a few out of the freezer( after slicing and freezing on a tray, put in zip lock bag, ) roasted them on the grill, still sooo delicious. I also threw some in a pan as I was cooking burgers, and blackened them a lilttle, and they were also delicious. I did not blanche them..and the texture and taste was wonderful. Thanks everyone!

• Dee W

Your very welcome....glad it works for you!

• 3po3

That's good to know, Bernice. I have always diced mine small and used them in soups and sauces and such, but I wouldn't have thought to roast frozen peppers.