Easy Quick Fix for a Battered Couch

Trying to fend off the inevitable purchase, an old couch with good bones gets a little help.
easy quick fix for a battered couch with upholstery fabric
The Victim. Years of allowing the dogs on the couch resulted in this...
The upholstery fabric we were able to find at a 60% discount - whee! The total for 1 3/4 yard was $38.
I used a closet rod that I purchased at a local DIY store for $2.77. They even custom cut it for us.
I made the pocket loose. Make sure to mark your allowance with chalk or pencil.
The closet rod fits in the pocket just like curtain would.
The end result.
The end result.
This is so easy. I am not a seamstress; in fact, I barely know how to thread a sewing machine, but when this thought occurred to me, I knew I had to do it. I'm not a big fan of the overall couch slip, and the top part is fair to passable, so this was right up my alley.
All we did was measure the depth of the cushions, and the length of the sitting area we wanted covered. In order to avoid the annoying slippage of your average couch slip, we needed to have a decent anchor; hence, the curtain rod. Do not get anything less because your couch takes a daily beating, or at least mine does, and a little skimpy rod won't hold up to the abuse.
As far as seam allowances, I tried to make them approximately 1". You will need to buy a special needle and thread if you use upholstery fabric. I don't know the particulars, I just got what was recommended by the store help!
Other than that, you're on your own. Have fun!
Glenda Purvis

• M

Its beautiful. You could tuck the outside edge under the cushions? Or even tuck it in and sew the outside edge to the rod. Sort of make a big tube of cloth that fits around your cushions?

• Ter14471138

I must be missing something :-( I'm not understanding where the rods go! Do they tuck in the back of the cushions? The ends of the cushions?? WHERE??

• Judy Schubert

I love your upholstery fabric. What is the pattern name and where did you get it?

• Glenda Purvis

I purchased the fabric at Joann Crafts & Fabric. I believe they still have it. As for the name - no idea. Sorry.

• June Laucher

I think this seem like a great solution to a battered couch.

• Glenda Purvis

Thank you, June! This solution lasted two years until we broke down and purchased another couch.

• Jewellmartin

Glenda, good for you in not throwing out the sofa or the dog. I remember when we were young and poor. We had two little boys who managed to do some damage to our already-used sofa, mainly by jumping on it. I covered the sofa with a corduroy bedspread and put the long stick from a $1 broom that broke down into the center. That helped until the sons grew out of the bottle and graham cracker stage, and we could afford a new, sturdier, stain resistant sofa. Best wishes to you! ☺️

• Glenda Purvis

Thank you, Jewell! This fix lasted about two years before the frame started to go and we had to buy a couch. I'm one of those kind of people who hates to get rid of something when there's some life left to it!