Easy Quick Fix for a Battered Couch

Trying to fend off the inevitable purchase, an old couch with good bones gets a little help.
easy quick fix for a battered couch with upholstery fabric
The Victim. Years of allowing the dogs on the couch resulted in this...
The upholstery fabric we were able to find at a 60% discount - whee! The total for 1 3/4 yard was $38.
I used a closet rod that I purchased at a local DIY store for $2.77. They even custom cut it for us.
I made the pocket loose. Make sure to mark your allowance with chalk or pencil.
The closet rod fits in the pocket just like curtain would.
The end result.
The end result.
This is so easy. I am not a seamstress; in fact, I barely know how to thread a sewing machine, but when this thought occurred to me, I knew I had to do it. I'm not a big fan of the overall couch slip, and the top part is fair to passable, so this was right up my alley.
All we did was measure the depth of the cushions, and the length of the sitting area we wanted covered. In order to avoid the annoying slippage of your average couch slip, we needed to have a decent anchor; hence, the curtain rod. Do not get anything less because your couch takes a daily beating, or at least mine does, and a little skimpy rod won't hold up to the abuse.
As far as seam allowances, I tried to make them approximately 1". You will need to buy a special needle and thread if you use upholstery fabric. I don't know the particulars, I just got what was recommended by the store help!
Other than that, you're on your own. Have fun!

Glenda Purvis

• Renata

Do you have an idea for the back and arms?

• Glenda Purvis

Nope. I had thought of covering the arms, but that was beyond my sewing skills, which, to this day, have not improved!

• Sandra

do u have a video on how to do this,& can you do it to a loveseat ?

• Clif

I did seat & backs on a double recliner couch. Works perfect. Request details.

• Cathie

I have a white leather couch. The seats are are scratched by animals as well. The problem is that the there are no separte cushions. They are all attached to the couch. What could you do with that.

• Anason

I have this same issue as well. I will thinking of getting a larger piece and maybe making pocket in middle then stapling the top piece underneath the back. If that makes sense. I don't know what to do with the arms but I may have to staple separate piece along that area.

• Penny

I'am going to do this on my live seat . I can sew one making easter dresses this is fast ,quick & easy to do thank you for sharing this idea live it .

• Petra

Great idea for using curtain rod as anchor