Easy Quick Fix for a Battered Couch

Trying to fend off the inevitable purchase, an old couch with good bones gets a little help.
The Victim. Years of allowing the dogs on the couch resulted in this...
The upholstery fabric we were able to find at a 60% discount - whee! The total for 1 3/4 yard was $38.
I used a closet rod that I purchased at a local DIY store for $2.77. They even custom cut it for us.
I made the pocket loose. Make sure to mark your allowance with chalk or pencil.
The closet rod fits in the pocket just like curtain would.
The end result.
This is so easy. I am not a seamstress; in fact, I barely know how to thread a sewing machine, but when this thought occurred to me, I knew I had to do it. I'm not a big fan of the overall couch slip, and the top part is fair to passable, so this was right up my alley.
All we did was measure the depth of the cushions, and the length of the sitting area we wanted covered. In order to avoid the annoying slippage of your average couch slip, we needed to have a decent anchor; hence, the curtain rod. Do not get anything less because your couch takes a daily beating, or at least mine does, and a little skimpy rod won't hold up to the abuse.
As far as seam allowances, I tried to make them approximately 1". You will need to buy a special needle and thread if you use upholstery fabric. I don't know the particulars, I just got what was recommended by the store help!
Other than that, you're on your own. Have fun!

17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Glenda Purvis

• Sandra

do u have a video on how to do this,& can you do it to a loveseat ?

• Clif

I did seat & backs on a double recliner couch. Works perfect. Request details.

• Cathie

I have a white leather couch. The seats are are scratched by animals as well. The problem is that the there are no separte cushions. They are all attached to the couch. What could you do with that.

• Cheryle Haas-Sredich

I’m confused.. how do you assemble it all? Where do the rods go? How many rods are used? I have the same problem with my couch and would really like to do this but I just am not sure how it all gets assembled. Is the just one long rod stuffed behind the cushions? Do you have a video I can watch?

Thanks

cheryle