A New Decorating Surface is Born. Don't Ignore Your Doors.

Though many people don't share my love of the ornate, I'm addicted to it! I fell in love with the style when I was quite little and it's stuck with me ever since. I can't pass ornamental decoration on old buildings or within the pages of magazines that feature old mansions and anywhere in my own home that I can add ornamental beauty, I do.
I have many 6 panel doors in my home and to me, those 6 panels simply represent a cool, new place to add a design.
I decided that our Raised Plaster Chaumont Panel Stencil was just the ticket for those raised panels.
I simply spread pre-mixed joint compound over the stencil to create the design. The darkness you see is simply the compound photographed before it dried.
I LOVE the result!
The raised detail adds elegance and beauty to this plain door. I painted over the design with the same color used on the door which to me, is quite beautiful. I don't need color to make the design stand out more, the simple shadows that lighting casts is enough to make me swoon!

15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home

To see more: http://victorialarsen.com/plaster_stencil_chaumont_panel.html

• Linda D
    Linda D

Did you do this to all the doors in your house or just this one?? I ask because we have 6-panel doors throughout the too!!! I love how this looks!! So elephant!!

• Ardale
      Ardale

Like you I share your love for ornate old world elegance. Your stenciled doors are beautiful! I once saw where someone stenciled a raised design on their claw foot bathtub and loved it. They painted the side of their tub in a coordinating color to match their bathroom décor then stenciled on top of that and left the raised design white which gave their tub a sort of wedgewood look but they didn't go into any detail on what they used to get their raised design nor did they tell if they sealed it in any way. You know bathtubs sweat so I was wondering if you had any ideas? Would you use spackle on the outside of a bathtub to get the raised design or use something else and if not then what would you use. Also what would you seal it with?
  • Cheryl
    Cheryl

Did you remove the doors and lay them flat to add the plaster or were you able to leave them in place?

• CHYREL
      CHYREL

I LIKE THIS DESIGN BEING FROM MAIN AND NEW HAMPSHIRE THAT'S WHAT I CALL A VERY OLD BEAUTY THANKS!

• Merry Straub
    Merry Straub

My interior doors are not wood but some other material which is a relief pattern made to look like wood. Would this work with the stencils? If you decide you don't like it can it be taken off?

• Victoria Larsen Stencils
      Victoria Larsen Stencils

When you use joint compound for a raised design on your doors, even if you paint over the top of it, you simply use a little hand sander to remove the paint layer, then hold a warm, wet sponge over the remaining design to dissolve it and then wipe the last of it away. It's messy, but very easy.