GadgetSponge.com
GadgetSponge.com
  • Shreveport, LA

Repurposed WWII Military First Aid Storage Suitcase Table w/ Sewing Machine Base & Yardsticks

I created this custom table with a vintage WWII suitcase, a vintage New Companion sewing machine iron base and yardsticks. I painted on the custom "first aid" artwork on top to give it the theme. You can see a full description of the project and process via the jump link.
I cleaned the vintage metal base and gave it several coats of fire engine red paint.  I then hand painted the white lettering.
I cleaned the vintage metal base and gave it several coats of fire engine red paint. I then hand painted the white lettering.
On the interior, I installed a subfloor to mount the base to the suitcase and then installed a custom yardstick floor with several coats of poly to finish it.
I left the parchment paper that lined the interior to keep it original to the era and style.
Custom graphics were stenciled and painted onto the top of the vintage suitcase and then distressed.
The metal base still swivels and spins.
The metal base still swivels and spins.
repurposed wwii military first aid storage suitcase table w sewing machine base, repurposing upcycling
GadgetSponge.com

• GadgetSponge.com

Congrats Tracy and thanks Valerie!!

• Peggy

Like this a lot

• Peggy

@Peggy I have commented already but looking at this again. I have a base that I use more or less as a table but I also have a very old leather suitcase which would work on top of mine. The suitcase is in poor array but a family piece. I am thinking about giving it a try per your picture. Thanks for sharing.