Nanci
Nanci
  • Buford, GA
Asked on Sep 23, 2012

What is the best way to clean hardwood floors?

NancySherrieLandlightS
+4

• 3po3

I like Bona wood cleaner personally, but it's pricey. Here are some other suggestions: http://www.hometalk.com/156418/cleaning-hardwood-floors-naturally You can also search for "clean hardwood floors" at the top of the page. It should pull up a bunch of suggestions and ideas for you.

• Jeanette S

I clean mine a little at a time using just water and a damp cloth followed by a dry one. I drop a small terrycloth shop cloth type cloth on the floor and move it around with my foot...many days my bad back will not allow the bending to mop. Then I throw down a dry one and dry that area. My floors look great! On wet days my kitchen floor looks spotted from dog tracks! I love that look (can you tell i am crazy about my Lab?) We have laminate in the kitchen and den because it weathers better with kids and dogs. It has been down over 7 years and looks like it went down yesterday! I use a little dishwashing liquid in my water every so often on the real hardwoods but make sure I rinse really well. On the laminate, I use the sanitizing swiffer pads quite often because that is the heavy traffic area! Love that lemon smell!

• Anna M

Here is a post I wrote about that. It's super easy to keep them clean! http://askannamoseley.com/2012/04/how-to-clean-wood-floors/

• KMS Woodworks

There are some cleaning tips in this article I wrote: http://www.networx.com/article/exotic-wood-floor-finishes-you-havent-sIn my own home I use a very lightly damp towel, 99% of the soil is dust and fine powder like dirt...plain water works fine.

• LandlightS

Bona and nothing else. It is the very best and is available at both HD and Lowes Gary

• Sherrie

Don't use beater bars on your vacuum. I use a canister vacuum so I can keep floors dust free and to get into the nooks and crannies. Always wipe up spills. Buy a micro fiber mop. I get it damp. I love these mops! A cheap one will do you don't need expensive. Get it lightly damp. And a spray bottle of warm water and lightly mist your floor. Mop and dry. Work in sections. Drying is key to protecting your floors! If it is really really dirty then take the same micro fiber mop and immerse it in warm water. Squeeze all the water out and then squeeze again. Mop and dry. Work in small sections you don't want water to stay on the floor. I also use Bona. My micro fiber mop is misted with water so lightly you can barely feel it then I use Bona. Unless your floor is sealed with a wax this works on all wood flooring. No alkaline cleaners! Vinegar No! Wood Soap No! Ammonia No! I could go on but you see the pattern. KMS has given the best link to cleaning any wood flooring. I use this as a guideline. If in doubt always go to the manufactor. Newer installed flooring is guaranteed only if you follow their guidelines and purchase their products. I have seen it damaged and the manufactors won't cover it because you didn't purchase their products. Just a hint for anyone with new flooring.

• Nancy

The woodfloor installer told us yesterday, he only likes to use warm water... no cleaner