Michelle Powers
Michelle Powers
  • Albertville, MN
Asked on Sep 23, 2012

Tomatoes in Minnesota

Dee WMichelle PowersDouglas Hunt
+2

Last night was our first frost. I had covered my tomatoes, so they are okay. BUT I don't want to cover them every night. I have a lot of tomatoes but many of them are still pretty small. What do I do? I know I if pick them all now they will turn red eventually, but they won't get bigger. Will they get bigger in the cold though? Please help the garden newbie!
  • Dee W

I don't know if they will continue to grow, but you can pick them all and have them ripen indoors if you'd like. There are quite a few different ways-check out this post: http://hometipster.com/how-to-ripen-green-tomatoes/ Hope it helps, I'll be doing this myself later in the week.

• Gail Salminen

check your weather forecast for the next week or so... if to warm up it will be worth covering them to get them to increase in size, if not you may as well pick. You can wrap the green ones in newspaper and store in the basement - this will preserve them longer and you can remove from newspaper to redden in the kitchen. There is always green fried tomatoes and green tomato relish.

If you've had a frost, Michelle, I suspect your tomatoes are pretty much going to stop growing. Time to stock up on green tomato recipes like chutneys and pickles.

• Michelle Powers

Thanks everyone. My kitchen table is covered in tomatoes that I'm hoping will ripen so I can try out my new canning kit! :)

• Dee W

How exciting! Good Luck...