Lorraine F
Lorraine F
  • Virginia Beach, VA

Do-it-yourself Vintage Chippy Finish!

Disclaimer: I am selling the MMS Milk Paint but there are LOTS of other vendors out there! I just wanted you to see what you can do with this paint! I love the chippy finish I often see but sometimes the pieces are just so old with rotted areas or a really rickety situation. If they're nice and sturdy, I usually can't afford them! So, I love that I can get the look for less......pretty much what I'm about anyway!If you DO want some paint, you can order it on my blog...button in the sidebarwww.missflibbertigibbet.com
Before Milk Paint - I used 'Ironstone'
Before Milk Paint - I used 'Ironstone'
Two coats...leave overnight...rub over with a metal scraper...
Using the metal scraper causes random chipping....more natural looking than sanding...
Here it is after some antiquing wax. At the primitive show I went to that weekend. Sitting nearby is an authentic chippy chair (quite rickety with some rotting at the feet). Looks darn similar doesn't it?
Lorraine F

• Renee

Looks cool! You did waxing after the chipping?

• Debi

hi, this looks awesome, I have a question, you said before the milk paint you used *ironstone* what did you mean by that? Was it something you used on this piece or ?? I really want to try this, it looks 100 years old.

• Lorraine F

Sorry Debi...I didn't see your comment earlier! Yes, I used Miss Mustard Seed's Ironstone color milk paint on the cabinet. If you don't have a vendor in your area, I sell it at http://www.missflibbertigibbet.com