Angie Forte
Angie Forte
  • Lascassas, TN

Vintage Silverware Snowflakes #originalOrnaments

I love vintage silverware but I don't always have an occasion to use it...until I came up with this idea!
how to make vintage silverware snowflakes ornaments, christmas decorations, crafts, seasonal holiday decor
Gotta vintage silverplate knife, fork, and spoon?! That's about all it takes to make these great ornaments. They look great hanging in a window!
Here are the items you'll need: knife, fork, and spoon of vintage silver, thin gauge wire, burlap ribbon, fishing line and clear tape.
Lay the knife down first, then lay the fork and spoon across the middle in an X pattern. Use the thin wire and wrap several times around the three pieces where they cross. Once the snowflake is secure, hide the wire by tying the burlap ribbon around the middle.
Tie a piece of the fishing line around the back of the wire and ribbon to hang your snowflake ornament. To help keep the snowflake from tilting while hanging, tape the fishing line to the back of the knife blade with the clear tape.
You can hang these from the tree or use like I did for a window display. Adding the small disco balls helped everything sparkle!
For more details, check out the post on Spain Hill Farm, formerly The Altered Past.
Angie Forte

• Shirley Turner Wishard

Why not use them for their intended purpose?

• Angie Forte

Hi Shirley, they are used for their intended purpose, just not all the time. That's why I brought them out and used them as snowflakes. The ornaments are not permanent since they're simply wired together. That way I can enjoy them on my table as utensils anytime. Thanks

• Goldrushgal

Love this idea, it doesn't harm the pieces of silver. I have a set that was my mother's. I think I will do this for the new year in my kitchen window.

• April smith holden

A few years back I inherited so much vintage silverware and odds and ends pieces and they have been stored in felted silverware drawers/cabinets, not knowing what to do with, but keep. This is so creative and can go into so many different ways...I love a creative mind....Thanx for sharing

• Mic1527886

@April smith holden just come across your comment..I have taken my old silverware to man that makes windchimes from them..he hangs them from old kitchens gadgets or anything old license plates coffee pots anything that he can punch a hole in..I have a old lantern...had one made for dautinlaw from her grandmas old kitchen grater and her silverware..and one from a old teapot for my dau.he makes hundreds of them and sells them at craft fairs etc. this is just a idea thought you might be able to do with some of your silverware. oh it says greentop..but I am from Wyaconda Mo.

• Linda Moseley

Really cute!! I also love vintage silverware.