Turn a Light Globe into a Chic Planter!

$10

I wanted to add some air plants to our kiddo's room, but I didn't want to shell out for fancy schmancy glass globes. I thought a salvaged light globe might work, but coming up with a container for it was the tricky part - Here's how we did it!
First, we made two six inch squares held together using glued lap joints. We cut the lap joints by measuring a line about 3/8ths of an inch from the end, turned the piece and made a line half way down the side. - so it looked sort of like an "L."
Then we cut the pieces using a bandsaw. Look! That's me using a ban saw for the very first time!
We applied wood glue to the ends and fit the joints together like puzzle pieces to make a square.
We used spring clamps on each corner to hold the square together while the glue dried overnight. Below is a picture of one square, but we made two. We checked for squareness by measuring from corner to corner
Next, we cut four three inch pieces of poplar for connecting the squares together in a cube shape.
The next part is a bit tricky. We arranged the light globe with one square on each side. Then we used a clamp to hold a connector piece on either side.
Next, we added a dab of glue to the top connectors and held them in place using tape pulled tight as a clamp. Then we flipped it over, removed the clamps and did the same thing to the bottom side. We let the piece dry overnight before removing the tape and giving it a once over with some fine grit sand paper.
Overall, I'd say this was a moderate skill level project - lots of steps and clamps, but the concept is fairly simple. Oh, and we did save some money over purchasing blown glass globes!
If you'd like to give this a shot yourself (I hope you do!) there are a couple more photos over on my original blog post.

Urban Acreage

• Linda

Where did you purchase the light globe? Thank you

• Marlene

They always have them at local thift stores, the Salvation Army and the Goodwill. They are reasonable too.

• Marji Billings

Great idea, I love it!!! Good tutorial.