Pantry Barn Door

The bifold pantry door was ugly and broken so...we decided to make a barn door to replace it. The barn door rail system was out if the non-existent budget so we made our own.
By ordering the steel bars online we were able to obtain a single 8ft piece for a seamless track. The wheels are from Lowe's and are garage door pulley wheels. Some bolts and washers all spray painted in bronze, and the barn door track looks just like the ones we saw online.
The door was custom made by my father in law to fit over the pantry opening and the hallway opening into the kitchen.
The original wire rack shelves were replaced with 5/8 inch cabinet grade plywood stained black.
We wanted something unique since the door is an architectural element that makes a statement as soon as you enter the back door (the friends and family entrance) so we decided to paint it to match all the custom woodwork my husband made and then paint the upper section with magnetic and chalkboard paint to create a family message board.
The finished door is perfect. It's dual role as pantry door and kitchen door is exactly what we wanted. Total cost was under $150.00 start to finish!

15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Dawn H

• Torrie Presley
    Torrie Presley

Where can I order the 8 ft.steel rod that the doors hang on? Love your design

• Dawn H
      Dawn H

Try metalsdepot.com and you should be able to get 6, 8 or 12ft single bars

• Maureen
    Maureen

Great idea - am going to try and copy it. Curious about the paint - one paint for both the chalkboard effect and magnetic or two paints?

• Jay Waterman
      Jay Waterman

2 different paints...3 coats of magnetic paint & 2 coats of chalkboard paint or 2 coats of any latex paint

• Stephanie Rountree
    Stephanie Rountree

Great job!

• Dawn H
    Dawn H

Thank you for the positive feedback. Doing the entire kitchen reno ourselves with me as the designer of everything from wood trim to the cabinets and 9ft island and the pantry door is taking a long time but is proving to be very rewarding! My husband ordered the steel bars from a company called Metals Depot in Kentucky at MetalsDepot.com. The bars are 3/16 in x 2in x 8ft for the track and the 2 bars to attach to the door are 1/8in x 1.5inx 2ft . He bent the 2 attachment pieces to fit over the pulley wheels and attached the pieces to the door using stainless steel square bolts he battered with a hammer to give rustic look before painting to make it look like the door had been here for ages. As for instructions I'll have to have him write it down since he made it up as he went., which he does a lot when building things for me...I tend to change my mind and be very precise in what I want.