Painted Snowy Mason Jars

$5

Painted mason jars are all the rage right now & I couldn't wait to make some for my holiday decor. I went with a soft, snowy effect on old spaghetti jars I had kept. The whole project cost me under $5 and I used items I had on hand in my crafty stash. Add a flameless candle to each for a soft glow in the evenings. So many colors & different ways you could make these!
how to make painted snowy mason jars, christmas decorations, crafts, mason jars, seasonal holiday decor
I love the soft, shabby-chic look these give my rec-room and will be pretty lit with flameless candles in the evenings.
For the cost of a bottle of paint & a jar of glitter I created these for under $5. Everything else I had on hand and/or reused items.
I used Martha Stewart Paint in "Cloud" with satin finish and added to coats to my clean jars. Make sure to brush on paint in same direction and let jars dry overnight after painting.
I used a sanding block to sand off some of the paint...I also used an emory board to get paint out of the letters on some areas too. Sand a little at a time until you get the effect you want.
I used a thick modge podge glue on the top of each jar and then dipped tops of jars into a heavy glittter (Diamond Dust), and patted it on then shook off excess.
I punche simple snowflakes using my punches and a heavy-weight white cardstock. Then added glue and glitter to each snowflake. I used plain chipboard letters, painted them white and then glittered those as well too to spell out "JOY".
The snowflakes and chipboard letters were hot-glued on...the letters have dimensionals behind them to make them pop a bit off the front.
Then some twine tied around the lip of one jar finishes the set off. Easy to make & customize for anyone!
Suzanne Dean

• Arlene campbell

with the painted jars can you put a real tealight candle in it without the paint peeling

• Tracy Jo

@Arlene campbell I only use battery operated tea lights in mine so I can't say. This isn't my post though :-) Mine are the little picture in the comments. Suzanne can let you know what she uses.

• Loc12704054

Love these...gonna make some!!!