Engraved and Illuminated Plastic Ball Ornaments

I have a ton of these inexpensive shatterproof plastic ball ornaments and I wanted to dress them up a little bit.
I decided to get out my engraving tool (a Dremel) and see what would happen. The results were so pretty! I only took off the top layer of color and the white plastic would show through.
But what was even more beautiful was what happened when i added the balls to a strand of christmas tree lights.
The engraving would glow. It looked so cool. I created a video tutorial (embedded in the blog post) so you can see how I settled on a design and the type of engraving tips I used if you are interested in duplicating these!
Here is the full post: http://www.thekimsixfix.com/2014/09/engraved-and-illuminated-ornaments.html
Cheap plastic ball ornaments are what you start with. (Just make sure the plastic underneath is white)
For the full instructions on how i did it: http://www.thekimsixfix.com/2014/09/engraved-and-illuminated-ornaments.html

TheKimSixFix

• Lun3522627

Beautiful! What Dremel did you use to create these?

• Ann Maas

Just beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing! QUESTION: How could I be sure that the ornament is white plastic underneath the coating? Thanks!

• Km

@Ann Maas take the metal top off the ornament, you will see what color the inside of the ornament is

• Kathleen

Beautiful, but what do all of we hopeless crafters who can't draw a straight line do?

• Flossie

Try using elastic bands, the smaller ones should do the trick, much easier to get a straight line using this method. good luck