TheKimSixFix
TheKimSixFix
  • San Francisco, CA

Engraved and Illuminated Plastic Ball Ornaments

I have a ton of these inexpensive shatterproof plastic ball ornaments and I wanted to dress them up a little bit.
I decided to get out my engraving tool (a Dremel) and see what would happen. The results were so pretty! I only took off the top layer of color and the white plastic would show through.
But what was even more beautiful was what happened when i added the balls to a strand of christmas tree lights.
The engraving would glow. It looked so cool. I created a video tutorial (embedded in the blog post) so you can see how I settled on a design and the type of engraving tips I used if you are interested in duplicating these!
Here is the full post: http://www.thekimsixfix.com/2014/09/engraved-and-illuminated-ornaments.html
engraved and illuminated plastic ball ornaments how to, christmas decorations, crafts, seasonal holiday decor
Cheap plastic ball ornaments are what you start with. (Just make sure the plastic underneath is white)
For the full instructions on how i did it: http://www.thekimsixfix.com/2014/09/engraved-and-illuminated-ornaments.html

TheKimSixFix

• Lun3522627

Beautiful! What Dremel did you use to create these?

• Ann Maas

Just beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing! QUESTION: How could I be sure that the ornament is white plastic underneath the coating? Thanks!

• Km

@Ann Maas take the metal top off the ornament, you will see what color the inside of the ornament is

• Kathleen

Beautiful, but what do all of we hopeless crafters who can't draw a straight line do?

• Flossie

Try using elastic bands, the smaller ones should do the trick, much easier to get a straight line using this method. good luck