DIY Yarn Ball Ornaments

I love adding color to our Christmas and I love oversized ornaments that make a statement on a Christmas tree. These DIY yarn ball ornaments deliver both!
DIY Yarn Ball Ornaments from All Things G&D
To make, I gathered up my strands of yarn, some balloons, and a variety of glue sources we had around the house. I used 12″ balloons for this project, blown up about halfway – just to the point where they got round in shape.
Stir strands of yarn into a container filled with glue (thin slightly with water if necessary) to coat. Wrap yarn around your balloon, continuing to wet additional strands with glue until your balloon is covered as much as you’d like. Tuck final strand beneath other strands so it does not pull apart off of the balloon.
I tied a strand of yarn around the end of the balloon and hung it from my upper kitchen cabinets to dry. Be sure to place a piece of wax paper or parchment paper underneath the balloons to catch any glue that might drip from the bottom of them as they dry.
Check out my blog post (link below) for a review on best glues to use for this project.
Let yarn balls dry at least 24 hours (more if needed) and then pop the balloon inside and pull it out of the yarn circle frame. String a new strand of yarn through the top, and that’s all there is to it!
Click the link below to see more of this project at my blog All Things G&D!

All Things G&D

• Christina Beth Simpson

You used 3 different types of glue. Of those 3, which did you find worked the best? Held up, stayed together, did leave dried crusts all over the finished project, dried the fastest, etc.
  • Linda

I did these twice and my balloons leaked and so the balls were

mis-sharpened by morning. I believe I tied them tightly so I'm not sure what happened? Do you know or have any advice?

• Jamie Joyner

Sometimes balloons and ball expand in the heat and shrink in the cold. Try keeping them in a warm area and see if that helps.

• Roxi

I love these. How cute for a true country Christmas tree. Anything homemade simple like these are what farmers had money for. Could using a hair dryer work on these balls? If you are in a group making them , each person would want to take theirs home.

• Jennifer

Yes I love this so excited to make ♥️Great ideal

• Kim heath

We used to do this with the large balloons and did it with Crochet thread and they looked like Easter eggs as it was drying I think we sprinkled it with sugar to give it a frosted look and then we cut out a circle on the side we put Easter grass on the inside and they were our were Easter baskets