$124 Laundry Room Overhaul- Pass Through to Garage (Custom DIY Shelves, Labels, Storage, Organization)

I know laundry rooms can be a bit of a bore, but this one is no longer- I went for high impact (on a budget)!
We have one of those terribly awkward and tiny "pass-through" laundry rooms, making it prime realty to collect junk and become disorganized. I finally decided that enough was enough and took matters into my own hands! With less then $150, I completed a custom color-blocked herringbone paint treatment using paint I had on hand, DIY'd new
shelving, created a hang-dry area for delicates, added some storage boxes with custom labels (made sans a Silhouette machine), hung bars for our frequently used cleaners and some hand towels, DIY'd some basic decor (included our swiffer duster "holder" vase, flowers in sand vases, and wall art with $1 frames and some travel art that I bought several years ago). In the end, the room turned out better than I ever could've imagined
and each day I walk through or by that room I literally smile uncontrollably (and awkwardly, I'm sure)! I recently posted the reveal on my blog.
Before & After of $124 Laundry Room Overhaul
Installing DIY Shelves in Laundry Room
Empty Your Pockets change jar
DIY Laundry Room Decor
Clothes Hanging Bar to dry delicates
Wall Art and Decor in Laundry Room
DIY $124 Laundry Room Overhaul
DIY $124 Laundry Room Overhaul
Towel Bars to hang cleaning spray bottles and towels

Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Ashley Meyer - Design Build Love

• Ruth Inman
    Ruth Inman

What is in the open space to the right of the washer and dryer covered with white?

• Eroque022810
    Eroque022810

Do you also have the utilities across from laundry ares? I do and I'm trying to find out if I can place doors to separate the area it's an eyesore and shoes end up there. Plus I can't paint the whole room.

• Valerie Orwick
    Valerie Orwick

I will do more then try ,I have to have this done. My husband and I are retired . We have a small court yard to cross to our garage where our new washer/dryer is located. There is a open roof over the court yard, with a gravel floor. We live in S. Nevada, so we get snow about every 7 years. It doesn't last , maybe 15-30 min. We don't have much money. How can we close in the court yard and use this for our laundry room ? Please help us. I have health issues and my husband takes care of me. My husband is thinking of using some sort of plexi-roof. Maybe a wood floor, which is cheaper then cement floor ( priced at $5000. ) . The plumbing for washer/dryer is located behind the wall , in the garage. What do you think ?

• Diane Schule
      Diane Schule

From what room do you exit the house to go to the courtyard? Is it the kitchen? Try to consider where you already have plumbing. Moving/installing a totally new site for plumbing would be very expensive. And you might not be able, safely and legally, to use electrical appliances in the outdoor space you are considering. Perhaps your Electric Utility company can help you find someone to give an opinion on that, at no charge. Are you members of AARP? They might be a good, free source of ideas and low-cost workers. Or, Church or Synagogue congregations might know of workers who offer seniors low-cost help.

Good luck!

• CKimball
    CKimball

This is a wonderful, easy to do, and impressive laundry makeover. thanks for the ideas

• Linda Abate
    Linda Abate

WOW, what a great room you have created. Love the accent wall and the amount of shelf space and hanging space you have created. Your room looks fantastic.